MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Host Has SMTP Off
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello-

The free host I am using has the SMTP server off. I have searched the forum for ways to get around this so that I can still use email, however, I haven't been able to get anything to work. I tried using an SMTP server through gmail and use that edit to functions.php that another thread suggested, but it only came up with errors and no email was sent.

Is there a place where I can get a free SMTP server to use for my forums?

Thank you!!!
In fact, you can use each SMTP-server you want, for example the SMTP server of your ISP, Gmail, ...
In MyBB 1.4, using SMTP will be a default possibility, under MyBB 1.2, you can do it with a simple file-change which is explained here:
http://community.mybboard.net/thread-24978.html
Thank you for your quick reply!

That thread you gave me was the one I already tried. I used a gmail SMTP (smtp.gmail.com) and all my user info, and it didn't work....

EDIT:

When I use that code on the thread you gave me, it gives me this error whenever I try to use email:

Quote:Warning: PHPMailer::include_once(class.smtp.php) [function.PHPMailer-include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/scarlett/public_html/forum/class.phpmailer.php on line 512

Warning: PHPMailer::include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening 'class.smtp.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/scarlett/public_html/forum/class.phpmailer.php on line 512

Fatal error: Class 'SMTP' not found in /home/scarlett/public_html/forum/class.phpmailer.php on line 580
Did you copy class.smtp.php in the same directory as class.phpmailer.php?
Yes, I have. When I do that, I get the following message:

Quote:Warning: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]: unable to connect to smtp.gmail.com:25 (Connection timed out) in /home/scarlett/public_html/forum/class.smtp.php on line 122
There has been a mail error sending to [email protected] with Error: Language string failed to load: connect_host
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/scarlett/public_html/forum/class.smtp.php:122) in /home/scarlett/public_html/forum/inc/functions.php on line 594
that message means your host is rejecting it ask to enable smtp and it will work
As stated in my message, my free host has smtp turned off and they won't enable it for me (I already asked)... so that's not really an option. Is there any other way to get around that?
no there wont be wat about the standard php mailer
Which standard php mailer?

If you mean the class.phpmailer download and the functions.php edit modification, I already tried that and it didn't work (more information can be found in the above posts, describing my problem).
ok then there is no way of using email

and anyway i recommend you using x10hosting its a brilliant free host
Pages: 1 2