MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 1.4 my take.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
1.4 CLEARLY Puts MYBB far ahead of the other free scripts as far as features go and is almost up there with the paid scripts. Has ALL ( but a couple of minor things ) the main tools for running your forum and more that the paid guys has. Most of the minor stuff ( Onlinetoday-User browsing thread- etc ) should hopefully appear in the form of a plugin. Skinning mybb has become simple and more flexible then ANY of the rest. Issue is with the amount of computer resources now needed to do alot of tasks such as theming etc. This is perhaps my biggest beef. Outside the small stuff i honestly cannot do anything else in ACP when i am using ie 6. Forget about even opening the "Edit Stylesheet In Advanced mode" as i freeze up everytime with IE 6. Firefox2 on the SAME system doesnt have that problem. Still loads slower though. I STILL run a current up to date version of IPB and i dont have the issues there and nor have i in the other systems which lately i have been checking out just for comparisions and to see if the IE 6 is just a MYBB issue which it is. I have had the same problem though with the memberlist section of IPB. That has tons of Java/ajax ( whatever you wanna call it ) as well like the newer 1.4 and thus i am guessing is the issue? NOT Certain though. At times it even takes a few to load this forum etc and as well my test forum using ie 6. YES i FULL WELL know IE 6 is outdated but as mentioned before via my site logs more then half the browsers of my site are using ie 6 as well. So yeah i am a little nervous about it. Naturally i dont wanna make it hard and or risk losing potential members. This i feel could cause that. Yeah i have a newer system with IE 7 etc but again my concern is for the others which seems to be plenty still.

Outside of that my beef is with the post bit in classic mode which honestly isnt classic because of the issues with longer nics etc that people use in their profile that shows in the postbit. It looks extremely messy. I wish the forum display page ( thread list ) had the option for the classic look too. I know there is plenty of vB lovers out there ( my guess as to why MYBB went in that direction? ) but as well more of those who prefer a cleaner look such as had with IPB. Ofcourse i'll get use to it or do as i am already starting to do which is doing up themes that fit the classic mode for forum display. Hopefully it is taken into consideration in the future though. As far as i am concerned there is ZERO to like about vB especially where its horrid looks are concerned.

To my suprise ACP is still pretty easy to deal with/understand. One of those things where IPB imo went a little overboard as did phpbb for that matter with that rotten permission system they did up. Talking about overall looks and how easy it is to find/do things etc. MYBB imo blows the rest out of the water as far as this goes. Just the ie 6 issues.

The mod CP and the warn system is top notch. Modding/admining a MYBB has been given a very nice shot in the arm and again now blows all of the free systems out of the water and is very much up there with the paid systems. Just a few "minor" things missing such as who's browsing thread which comes in very handy for watching for potential trouble inside a thread. Also a trash can forum would be nice BUT something that is better then IPB's as well.
I as well like the newer and improved User CP as well. Alot nicer looking. If it were up to me NOTHING else would change in User CP and the memberlist/profile section from here on out. I am probably only one of a few though who dont care for what IPB and vB has done/added to those areas. Thus i think it is better then the rest as is right now in 1.4!

All in all outside the ie6 stuff this is a much improved system and a huge kudos goes out to all who help to bring this all together. NOTHING ELSE on the free market can touch this and IMO is right up there with the paid guys thanks to the great Plugin system which too blows the rest away and as well the great support had here on these forums.

Great Job Guys!!!! Smile

My thanks goes out to all who helped make this happen.
I mean no offense and I have a feeling this what the devs are going to say too(but I in no way are saying this is what their going to say(don't want tiki to shoot meAngel)) is that IE6 should just die.

But yes there is a lot of ajax in 1.4. You can disable javascript for faster load times but you won't get all the cool looking features.
(2008-07-17, 04:03 AM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]I mean no offense and I have a feeling this what the devs are going to say too(but I in no way are saying this is what their going to say(don't want tiki to shoot meAngel)) is that IE6 should just die.

But yes there is a lot of ajax in 1.4. You can disable javascript for faster load times but you won't get all the cool looking features.

Believe me I AGREE 100%. Again though this has more to do with my visitors to my site and while this is easy for us all to say to eachother it is another thing to say it to all of those who visit/use our sites. My site is sorta small as is ( only 149 members ) with plenty of compitition who uses the other systems that dont have the ie 6 issue and thus my bigger concern.
your concerns aren't a big deal if you use updated things and have a good host I updated a production site to 1.4 beta and the load is less because I configured it right.
(2008-07-17, 04:33 AM)Mmarzex Wrote: [ -> ]your concerns aren't a big deal if you use updated things and have a good host I updated a production site to 1.4 beta and the load is less because I configured it right.

I guess you missed the part where i said i was having the same issue on THESE forums here as well. Wink I know damn well they have a good server etc as do I. So it is not that. This issue didnt start till 1.4 on IE 6. My other computer which is new and uses ie 7 etc doesnt have the issue here or on my site and or test site.
(2008-07-17, 04:03 AM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]I mean no offense and I have a feeling this what the devs are going to say too(but I in no way are saying this is what their going to say(don't want tiki to shoot meAngel)) is that IE6 should just die.

I completely agree. I wish IE6 would just die, just for the same reason we don't support IE5 or any other version below IE6. IE6 is every web developers worst nightmare.

(2008-07-17, 03:34 AM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]I know there is plenty of vB lovers out there ( my guess as to why MYBB went in that direction? )

We do not implement a feature just because vBulletin has it or some other forum has it. We implement features because 1) We find them practical and 2) Are an improvement over the old way.

If you don't like it that's why me and Chris poured our blood and sweat into a new and easy to use Style and Theme section.

(2008-07-17, 04:37 AM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]I guess you missed the part where i said i was having the same issue on THESE forums here as well. Wink I know damn well they have a good server etc as do I. So it is not that. This issue didnt start till 1.4 on IE 6. My other computer which is new and uses ie 7 etc doesnt have the issue here or on my site and or test site.

Have you done actual speed tests? I find it unlikely that the javascript is the cause of all your problems. There really isn't much load time added what so ever and believe me, I have tested MyBB 1.4 on a computer with a pentium 2 with IE6. If you think that the Javascript is causing your site to take longer on your board then you can turn it off.

Also, to touch on your Codepress issues (The inline editor for Templates and Advanced Mode in Themes). I personally haven't received any issues with it and I know Zinga runs IE6 for the purpose of testing and he has been running MyBB 1.4 Beta for several months now on his own forums and he hasn't experienced issues with it either. Nor has he reported problems on speed and he's on dial-up too.

Also since Codepress is a third-party product then I would suggest it would be better if you brought it up with them
(2008-07-17, 05:04 AM)Tikitiki Wrote: [ -> ]

I completely agree. I wish IE6 would just die, just for the same reason we don't support IE5 or any other version below IE6. IE6 is every web developers worst nightmare.

(2008-07-17, 03:34 AM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]I know there is plenty of vB lovers out there ( my guess as to why MYBB went in that direction? )

We do not implement a feature just because vBulletin has it or some other forum has it. That is completely untrue and not the case. We implement features because 1) We find them practical and 2) Are an improvement over the old way.

If you don't like it that's why me and Chris poured our blood and sweat into a new and easy to use Style and Theme section.

(2008-07-17, 04:37 AM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]I guess you missed the part where i said i was having the same issue on THESE forums here as well. Wink I know damn well they have a good server etc as do I. So it is not that. This issue didnt start till 1.4 on IE 6. My other computer which is new and uses ie 7 etc doesnt have the issue here or on my site and or test site.

Have you done actual speed tests? I find it unlikely that the javascript is the cause of all your problems. There really isn't much load time added what so ever and believe me, I have tested MyBB 1.4 on a computer with a pentium 2 with IE6. If you think that the Javascript is causing your site to take longer on your board then you can turn it off.

Also, to touch on your Codepress issues (The inline editor for Templates and Advanced Mode in Themes). I personally haven't received any issues with it and I know Zinga runs IE6 for the purpose of testing and he has been running MyBB 1.4 Beta for several months now on his own forums and he hasn't experienced issues with it either. Nor has he reported problems on speed and he's on dial-up too.

Also since Codepress is a third-party product then I would suggest it would be better if you brought it up with them

Thanks. I'll definetly look further into it.

As for adding stuff or in the case i was referring to changing LOOKS i guess it all depends on onee point of view. Toungue My beef had to do with the "look" not features as i know you can get the desired looks with all the same features. Smile No biggie in either case. AGAIN as said above ( which i see was ignored ) i do commend you all for a great new system. Thanks. Cool
(2008-07-17, 05:31 AM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]AGAIN as said above ( which i see was ignored ) i do commend you all for a great new system. Thanks. Cool

It 'twasn't ignored, I just felt it more important to respond to the things that needed responding too first and foremost. Thanks for your complements.
(haven't read everything)
I should probably point out that I actually don't try a lot of things in IE6 (I have tested quite a few features, but nowhere near everything), mainly cause Firefox is so much nicer.

I also have images disabled so the speeds aren't horribly slow Toungue
The only thing I wanna touch on is the part about the postbit, mainly because Ryan G. commented on the rest.

HarryWx Wrote:Outside of that my beef is with the post bit in classic mode which honestly isnt classic because of the issues with longer nics etc that people use in their profile that shows in the postbit.

This has always been an issue, at least from what I remember.

If someone used an unnecessarily long username or their location (or whatever profile field was displayed) was extremely long it would stretch the postbit.
Pages: 1 2