MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What's your favourite OS?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2008-08-15, 11:19 PM)rh1n0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-08-15, 12:57 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote: [ -> ]Well, GUI wise, Windows at the moment. Servers, Linux wins hands down.
QFT

Windows for games too, can't forget about that. Smile

This is why my brother won't let me make is computer Linux Toungue. I love putting linux on other peoples computers. I actually put on my best friends because he was having problems with windows so I just installed Ubuntu Toungue. He ended up liking it a lot but couldn't get it to work with his zune.

Now he's not good with computers so if he can do it anyone can use some linux distro(probably ubuntu or something based off it).
If you want a gaming distribution try Sabayon, it come pre loaded with a heap of good quality linux games and you can get alot of windows games to work through wine.
(2008-08-16, 04:31 AM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-08-15, 11:19 PM)rh1n0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-08-15, 12:57 PM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote: [ -> ]Well, GUI wise, Windows at the moment. Servers, Linux wins hands down.
QFT

Windows for games too, can't forget about that. Smile

This is why my brother won't let me make is computer Linux Toungue. I love putting linux on other peoples computers. I actually put on my best friends because he was having problems with windows so I just installed Ubuntu Toungue. He ended up liking it a lot but couldn't get it to work with his zune.

Now he's not good with computers so if he can do it anyone can use some linux distro(probably ubuntu or something based off it).

I have it on a 1TB disk drive in my garage somewhere.
(2008-08-15, 10:45 PM)_Tim Wrote: [ -> ]Have you got the latest version of wine? Because i have managed to get heaps of programs working including photoshop and even the .net framework!

At the moment i am using exclusivly mint (a slight variation on ubuntu) and i love it, it is the best!

The only program i can't get to work on wine is autocad Sad

Hi Tim,

Yeah, I have the latest version: 1.1.2 I have just about given up on getting anything to work on Linux.Confused
I like Ubuntu the best. I'm not really a PC gamer, and everything I used on Windows (Photoshop mainly), I can use through Wine, although I prefer Gimp.

For some reason I do a lot better with stuff on Gimp instead of Photoshop, so I removed photoshop and went 100% Ubuntu.
Linux mint all the way here! Its basicly ubuntu, made better! And its a lot easier for windows users to get used to.
http://www.linuxmint.com
Mint uses the ubuntu repos so you got tons of apps but its more stable, less bugs, nice nifty features and a SEXY menu!

Never use windows at home any more, theres just no need!

Wine 1.0 rocks too, and it should do since it took em 15 years!
Vista FTW. It looks great, works well as long as you have 1GB of RAM, and is very secure. XP is OK, but not as secure, and doesn't look as good either. Tiger is ok too, but leopard is a real resource hog compared to Vista. Vista runs nicely on my 1.86GHz 1GB RAM system, but leopard takes around 2 minutes to boot (vista takes 25 seconds), and is quite slow when running. I have tried linux, and it's good for servers, but sucks as a desktop. I had a lot of issues with it running on my PC, like artifacting and crashing on boot.
(2008-08-17, 06:22 PM)Cool_Guy Wrote: [ -> ]Vista FTW. It looks great, works well as long as you have 1GB of RAM, and is very secure. XP is OK, but not as secure, and doesn't look as good either. Tiger is ok too, but leopard is a real resource hog compared to Vista. Vista runs nicely on my 1.86GHz 1GB RAM system, but leopard takes around 2 minutes to boot (vista takes 25 seconds), and is quite slow when running. I have tried linux, and it's good for servers, but sucks as a desktop. I had a lot of issues with it running on my PC, like artifacting and crashing on boot.

You can make XP look/act almost exactly like Vista now. Plus if you want to talk secure don't even put windows in the same sentence. I mean you need what 3 things to actually be secure? A firewall, antivirus, and anti spy/adware. Plus it hogs useless resources. It's virtual memory set up is a joke it won't even fill up all the ram before using the page file which greatly reduces the life of your hard drive.
(2008-08-17, 06:51 PM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ][quote='Cool_Guy' pid='240583' dateline='1218997320']
Plus if you want to talk secure don't even put windows in the same sentence.

The only reason that Windows is "less" secure than OSX or Linux is that most people use Windows, so the hackers target that. It would be the same if the "almighty" OSX was king. Wink
(2008-08-17, 07:10 PM)Soshite Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-08-17, 06:51 PM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ][quote='Cool_Guy' pid='240583' dateline='1218997320']
Plus if you want to talk secure don't even put windows in the same sentence.

The only reason that Windows is "less" secure than OSX or Linux is that most people use Windows, so the hackers target that. It would be the same if the "almighty" OSX was king. Wink

Not necessarily, Linux does have more security built in such as you don't use root(Administrator) account for every thing. This way the way something will effect system files if you let it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4