MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What's your favourite OS?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2008-08-17, 06:51 PM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]You can make XP look/act almost exactly like Vista now. Plus if you want to talk secure don't even put windows in the same sentence. I mean you need what 3 things to actually be secure? A firewall, antivirus, and anti spy/adware. Plus it hogs useless resources. It's virtual memory set up is a joke it won't even fill up all the ram before using the page file which greatly reduces the life of your hard drive.

Not really, and I don't care for those transformation packs that much, a lot of it's software is buggy (like ViStart).

As for security, all oses NEED a firewall, Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. If your careful about what you dl, you don't need anti-virus on Vista. I ran vista for a while without any AV, and didn't get any viruses. You also can get adware on linux if you download bad software. And modern security software doesn't hog resources, like ESET NOD32, Windows Firewall, and Windows Defender.

And with 4GB of RAM being cheap, you can just disable the pagefile, and be done with it.
(2008-08-17, 08:09 PM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-08-17, 07:10 PM)Soshite Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-08-17, 06:51 PM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ][quote='Cool_Guy' pid='240583' dateline='1218997320']
Plus if you want to talk secure don't even put windows in the same sentence.

The only reason that Windows is "less" secure than OSX or Linux is that most people use Windows, so the hackers target that. It would be the same if the "almighty" OSX was king. Wink

Not necessarily, Linux does have more security built in such as you don't use root(Administrator) account for every thing. This way the way something will effect system files if you let it.
Good for servers, though I personally would get annoyed at that.
I'm not really a security person. I disable every single security setting I can find, and I don't use any form of security application. Have had no issues, but then, I do know how to deal with things.
Only account I use in Linux is root Toungue
It's also one of the things I dislike about Vista. "No Vista, I'm quite sure I can protect myself and I know what I'm doing; I don't need you trying to stop me editing system files"
If you run OSX or Leopard with the default settings, it also has UAC promps that are like vista. I personaly don't find it that annoying, so long as the programmer did their job correctly, and doesn't require admin level stuff. That's why it's not annoying on linux and OSX, because app developers didn't make the apps to run in the admin account, like on windows.
(2008-08-17, 08:20 PM)Cool_Guy Wrote: [ -> ]If your careful about what you dl, you don't need anti-virus on Vista.

You need anti-virus on windows period. Anti-spyware too.
Especially if you use IE.
Anti-virus on OSX wouldn't hurt, especially since it's becoming more popular.
Well,

It might be a different answer and most of the people don't like what I like, BUT I actually like Vista Big Grin

IT might be because I like it's look or what ever, I just installed it and using it from more then 6 months now and never had problem so my vote is for Windows and it will be Vista. Fast speed, fast usage, never had such a big problem and all of my hardware do support that ..

FAISAL~
Windows I suppose. (*gasp* that rhymed! Toungue)
It's not the best, but it gets the job done. Smile
(2008-08-17, 11:52 PM)Cool_Guy Wrote: [ -> ]If you run OSX or Leopard with the default settings, it also has UAC promps that are like vista. I personaly don't find it that annoying, so long as the programmer did their job correctly, and doesn't require admin level stuff. That's why it's not annoying on linux and OSX, because app developers didn't make the apps to run in the admin account, like on windows.
Not interested in those OSes - I use XP.
And I like to have admin access myself (ie changing system files) - it's not an issue with applications. =P
I haven't tried any other OS, so I can only vouch for Windows, but I think if given the chance to try Mac, it would become my favorite. Dodgy
(2008-08-18, 01:08 AM)danrulz98 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-08-17, 08:20 PM)Cool_Guy Wrote: [ -> ]If your careful about what you dl, you don't need anti-virus on Vista.

You need anti-virus on windows period. Anti-spyware too.
Especially if you use IE.
Anti-virus on OSX wouldn't hurt, especially since it's becoming more popular.

Not on Vista, as I installed an AV later, after using it for some time with to AV protection, and the AV found nothing. But you have to leave UAC on. That's very important.

(2008-08-18, 01:27 AM)Faisal Shah Wrote: [ -> ]Well,

It might be a different answer and most of the people don't like what I like, BUT I actually like Vista Big Grin

IT might be because I like it's look or what ever, I just installed it and using it from more then 6 months now and never had problem so my vote is for Windows and it will be Vista. Fast speed, fast usage, never had such a big problem and all of my hardware do support that ..

FAISAL~

Yey. Seems like more people are seeing the light and stoping the hate on Vista. A lot of well known people like vista more now too, like Leo Laporte of This Week in Tech.

(2008-08-18, 01:50 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-08-17, 11:52 PM)Cool_Guy Wrote: [ -> ]If you run OSX or Leopard with the default settings, it also has UAC promps that are like vista. I personaly don't find it that annoying, so long as the programmer did their job correctly, and doesn't require admin level stuff. That's why it's not annoying on linux and OSX, because app developers didn't make the apps to run in the admin account, like on windows.
And I like to have admin access myself (ie changing system files) - it's not an issue with applications. =P

That's rather dangerous, and the #1 reason that XP has so many security problems. You ask anyone that uses linux whether you should run as root, and they will say no way. That goes for all OSes.
(2008-08-18, 11:48 AM)Cool_Guy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-08-18, 01:50 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote: [ -> ]

That's rather dangerous, and the #1 reason that XP has so many security problems. You ask anyone that uses linux whether you should run as root, and they will say no way. That goes for all OSes.
No, the biggest security threat, IMO, in most systems is still the computer operator. If you know what you're doing, you won't have any issues, as I never have ever had Toungue
Stuff like viruses don't just magically appear on your system - the operator of the system has to actually allow it to come on in at some point in time (obviously, usually unaware).
Pages: 1 2 3 4