MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What Linux to get?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Well i've never used one as well
Linux, (some distros I've messed with) has poor PPPOE support, but it can work. I have PCLinuxOS on my desktop which is good if you are Windows dependent. It works a lot like windows. However the network manage is garbage.
On my laptop I use Ubuntu 8.04 and I really like it a lot. But, I use DSL over FiberOptic and wireless.
Forgot to mention i have windows as well on my C drive and i have created a new drive called G will that be a problem?
And also i did not find an IDK Linux
If you have a another Hard Drive in your computer.
No i have one hard drive which is split into 3 partitions
One is C(windows) D(for storing files and such) and G(for linux)

So what Linux to get so i can use PPPOE and will not be garbage
(2008-08-17, 01:46 AM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]No i have one hard drive which is split into 3 partitions

No, that's not a problem. When you install linux, it will ask you if you want to add your C drive to the start up options. (It might ask you if you want to add your D drive as well).
On my laptop I have one 80GB drive with 20GB to windows and Linux and the rest for swap.
(On my desktop I have 200GB for windows and 32 for Linux then a second HDD for swap)
(2008-08-17, 01:50 AM)danrulz98 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-08-17, 01:46 AM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]No i have one hard drive which is split into 3 partitions

No, that's not a problem. When you install linux, it will ask you if you want to add your C drive to the start up options. (It might ask you if you want to add your D drive as well).
Is that a problem?
So basically what LinuxOS to use? And for it to be a LiveCD meaning a bootable
It doesn't matter that you have a G drive since it will probably get formatted to ext3 when installing Linux anyway, then you won't even be able to see it under Windows. You probably also need a swap partition.
(2008-08-17, 01:53 AM)MrDoom Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't matter that you have a G drive since it will probably get formatted to ext3 when installing Linux anyway, then you won't even be able to see it under Windows. You probably also need a swap partition.
What is a swap partition?
I am not Google.

It's a partition Linux uses on your harddrive as addition RAM storage if you run out of physical RAM. Like a pagefile on Windows.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagefile#Linux
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6