MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What Linux to get?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(2008-08-18, 03:51 PM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]I have installed ubuntu but now the main problem is settings up the pppoe connection
I found where the options reside however it doesnt let me use my connection but uses some predifined "Wired" one

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ADSLPPPoE

It's for an older version of ubuntu but should be similar to that.
Well i dont have a router but a cable internet that uses PPPOE
(2008-08-18, 09:07 PM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]Well i dont have a router but a cable internet that uses PPPOE

It'd be a lot easier if you had a router that was set up with PPPOE then plugged your computer into it.
Well my ISP does not have such things just plain old cable internet

P.S
I have ixed the issue with the internet but the font that i have to view pages is ugly
Ubuntu or fedora is pretty nice, those are the only ones I have used, Personally I suggest Ubuntu.
(2008-08-19, 12:09 AM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]Well my ISP does not have such things just plain old cable internet

P.S
I have ixed the issue with the internet but the font that i have to view pages is ugly

Install the windows fonts(you just select them from add/remove thing or look through the repos if you really want). Then change the fonts Wink.
Linux is free right?
(2008-08-19, 09:33 AM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]Linux is free right?

99% of the time yes. There are some distros that you have to buy but many of those also have free versions too.
Honestly I have used only two linux distros.
Suse linux isn't the best distro out there, and IMO it requires a more experienced linux user to use it.
Ubuntu is very easy to use, and you can install/update your programs very easily. Ubuntu even has support for wine. Although honestly I want to make my own linux based OS. Toungue
(2008-08-19, 07:19 PM)Clair Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly I have used only two linux distros.
Suse linux isn't the best distro out there, and IMO it requires a more experienced linux user to use it.
Ubuntu is very easy to use, and you can install/update your programs very easily. Ubuntu even has support for wine. Although honestly I want to make my own linux based OS. Toungue

Look at Linux From Scratch.

And I didn't find Suse to hard to use personally.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6