MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: IPB users mix comments on MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Yha....i hate how you have to pay for updates? Whats up with that?
(2008-08-30, 03:54 PM)Chasingu Wrote: [ -> ]Yha....i hate how you have to pay for updates? Whats up with that?

You do NOT have to pay for updates... You have a up to date license ( unless you have one of the old Lifetime licenses which you dont have to pay anything for ) and you get all updets till it expires. I use both this and IPB and thus have a current license. I wouldnt use ANYTHING else besides here and there. vB is VERY overrated and not to mention ugly. IMO. Sure you can use a different skin but it is gonna cost you alot to make it so it isnt so damn ugly. Same however applies to IPB if by chance you dont like its looks. I personally think IPB by far is the most professional looking of any system with mybb a close second. Plus vB still uses a very outdated and pain in the arse ACP which WONT be getting a new look till 4.0 is out which is atleast another year away. MYBB ACP blows vB away as does IPB which is like MYBB and thus modern and easy to work with.
Agree 100% about the plugin system. That is something that both here and vB has over IPB for NOW. Updating IPB and vB sucks ball's though. MYBB is ALOT easier to do. IMO
Ye you do. On the vB website they say after a year free of update you have to pay.
For vB if you have an owned license you have to pay every year for support and updates. You DO NOT HAVE to pay though, it is your choice. You can continue using vB but will no longer get priority support and updates until you renew. If you have a lease license, well, you know what a lease is so no use explaining it. Big Grin

As for the looks of vB... I prefer the look of it to IPB. Not sure if I like MyBB or vB better though, I guess each of them has their own appeal to them. I do find it funny how the majority of MyBB users theme their forums to look like the "ugly" vB skin though. Toungue

And lastly the Admin CP, I personally like the layout of the vB Admin CP but then again I also like the MyBB/IPB one. The appearance doesn't really matter to me as long as you can navigate it. Wink
Thats what i was saying.
Quote:For vB if you have an owned license you have to pay every year for support and updates. You DO NOT HAVE to pay though, it is your choice. You can continue using vB but will no longer get priority support and updates until you renew.

Actually that's not a bad deal really. You could buy the license and get the latest update etc. Use that set up for a few years, then pay to have it renewed meaning you get the latest upgrade....Sure saves on paying each year!!
One thing though is that you get a discount if you renew 60 days after your upgrades/support expires. It's only $40 instead of $60 which isn't to bad.

My only gripe is that security patches should still be free whereas the feature updates should be pay. But oh well, what are you going to do. Big Grin
(2008-08-30, 10:50 PM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]For vB if you have an owned license you have to pay every year for support and updates. You DO NOT HAVE to pay though, it is your choice. You can continue using vB but will no longer get priority support and updates until you renew. If you have a lease license, well, you know what a lease is so no use explaining it. Big Grin

As for the looks of vB... I prefer the look of it to IPB. Not sure if I like MyBB or vB better though, I guess each of them has their own appeal to them. I do find it funny how the majority of MyBB users theme their forums to look like the "ugly" vB skin though. Toungue

And lastly the Admin CP, I personally like the layout of the vB Admin CP but then again I also like the MyBB/IPB one. The appearance doesn't really matter to me as long as you can navigate it. Wink

Could be because that other then Audentio not many others have done IPB Themes skins for MYBB. Granted as well the base looks of this forum IS closer to vB vs IPB as well ESPECIALLY if your using the New postbit. Again I THINK the vB base look is HORRIBLE and not very professional. The plus here is MYBB dont use the horrible looking sticky method that vB uses which really helps when viewing the forum display page. IMO I as well like the fact IPB displays the Last post info ( On Index for each forum and or subforum in forumdisplay ) in a neat way. Doesnt look as sloppy as this and or vB. I as well prefer the Topic starter name have it's own column on the thread listing as is done on IPB vs vB and the New 1.4 look which has it with the thread title.

The HUGE positive here vs BOTH IPB and vB is that it is ALOT easier to skin/theme to get the desired looks one wants. Thus those points of mine are really moot and are just MY FEELINGS on the matter. I have already fixed most of my issues with the looks on my forum. So again no biggie. Better to go with what the majority wants anyways which for now seems to be THIS Look.

Other added benifit here is that you will NEVER be left out in the cold with updates thanks to MYBB being FREE.
True, there have been plenty of discussions of free versus paid so no need to get into that. Wink

But you're right, the good thing about all forums is that if you don't like it you can skin it to your liking. Smile

If there was an alternative to the CodePress powered template editor in MyBB 1.4 I wouldn't have any problem with it, but until then I prefer vB's template editor. Big Grin
You can always toggle javascript off in your browser and codepress won't load in the template editor Wink.
Pages: 1 2 3