MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Windows Installation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi I need help.

I have uploaded the contents of the uploads directory to my web server. Don't know how to CHmod the files? I am using a windows servers so don't know if I even have to CHmod the files or how? I tried running the instal wizard by typing in www.mydomain.com/forum/install but just gives me an error screen.

Can anyone help please

Thanks
Racey7 Wrote:Hi I need help.

I have uploaded the contents of the uploads directory to my web server. Don't know how to CHmod the files? I am using a windows servers so don't know if I even have to CHmod the files or how? I tried running the instal wizard by typing in www.mydomain.com/forum/install but just gives me an error screen.

Can anyone help please

Thanks
I have asked the same questions. I'm assuming you're using a Windows server and IIS5 or 6. If so, chmod is not for you - a linux command.

http://community.mybboard.net/showthread.php?tid=3830

I think most folks here use linux. It would be great if we could get some info on the Windows side.

I was able to get to the point in the install where I was to populate the MySQL database tables, but it died a white screen of death.

I've done some checking, and it looks like getting PHP to play with MySQL takes some doing. In MySQL, you have to add the php extension. I'm having a tough time with that. At least I think that's what has to happen. I haven't found an easy "how to". If you get there, please post how you got it done. For me at this point, it seems to be all about MySQL.

Addition: http://community.mybboard.net/showthread...7#pid11197

For me, it really looks like a MySQL extension issue. You will have to do it using phpMyAdmin:

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/
Stuck with the same problem, the problem also is i'm just starting with PHP and MySQL under Windows, i also have linux as a secondary OS but i'll experiment the forum under linux later because i almost have all the time WIndows running so there's no point setting it up under linux. Any help is appreciated.

Another thing: I'm running WXP SP2, IIS 5 & Apache (trying with IIS, then Apache...), PHP 5, MySQL Server 4.1
Fella's. All I hear is how it doesn't work on IIS5 and 6. Seems to me, thats whats causing the troubles. Download WampServer. It has everything you need (php,mySQL,phpMyAdmin), its easily setup, only needs two files edited and you away. I run it on Windows XP SP2, never had a problem.
i downloaded and configured apache, php and mysql myself. I hate using an all in 1 package... But its just me.
Quote:All I hear is how it doesn't work on IIS5 and 6. Seems to me, thats whats causing the troubles.
Actually, MyBB runs fine on IIS - as i've said before, IIS is currently running on my primary development server.

Quote:I've done some checking, and it looks like getting PHP to play with MySQL takes some doing. In MySQL, you have to add the php extension. I'm having a tough time with that. At least I think that's what has to happen. I haven't found an easy "how to". If you get there, please post how you got it done. For me at this point, it seems to be all about MySQL.

Addition: http://community.mybboard.net/showthread...7#pid11197

For me, it really looks like a MySQL extension issue. You will have to do it using phpMyAdmin:
It's actually the other way around - PHP needs to be configured to load the MySQL extension which is done via php.ini (C:\Windows or in your server directory/php directory).

If the MySQL module isn't loaded for PHP then you'll also find that PHPMyAdmin will not work.
If I was to install MyBB on a windy-machine, I would just give up on the IIS and trying to marry that with PHP and mysql....but that's probably because I am not that familiar with the ini-files...
I would rather just install one of the bundles that do the work perfectly with little or no technical knowhow....
In addition to
WAMP - Apache, mySQL, PHP

you could try this
Apache2Triad - Apache, mySQL, PHP, PostGreSQL, XMail, SlimFTPd, Perl, Smarty, Python

My favourite is the latter one....easy to install and was running in no time. The benefit really here is that these installers are pre-configured to run together....so no need to edit ini-files as everything is done through a web-based installer....after this....just sit back and enjoy....well you do have to still install MyBB in the webfolder but you get the point...

cheers,
Kimmo
Chris Boulton Wrote:Actually, MyBB runs fine on IIS - as i've said before, IIS is currently running on my primary development server...

It's actually the other way around - PHP needs to be configured to load the MySQL extension which is done via php.ini (C:\Windows or in your server directory/php directory).
Chris, how is this done? Where is it in the ini that you turn it on?

phpMyAdmin choked:

To connect to a MySQL server, PHP needs a set of MySQL functions called "MySQL extension". This extension may be part of the PHP distribution (compiled-in), otherwise it needs to be loaded dynamically. Its name is probably mysql.so or php_mysql.dll. phpMyAdmin tried to load the extension but failed.
php.ini will either be in your PHP directory or in your Windows directory (or another directory in the path environment variable). If it doesn't exist you'll need to copy either php.ini-dist or one of the other sample files from the PHP directory into one of those locations and rename it php.ini.

In that file, scroll down to the extensions part, and uncommennt the php_mysql.dll line.

Chris
Pages: 1 2