MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Programs that work in wine!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yes I know wine has an apps DB full of programs that work in wine, but it doesn't cover them all. Toungue
I have tried VeohTV but no luck! (It apparently works in Ubuntu 7.10)
List of programs that I have gotten to work with Wine:
-mIRC
-IES4linux
Adobe Photoshop CS1
Marcomedia Flash, Fireworks, Dreamweaver 8
Borland Delphi 7

all work fine
Using Ubuntu 8.04, Notepad and Mail Stripper are the only Windoze programs I can get to work in Wine. I find Wine to be totally useless for my needs.Angry
Really i am using Ubuntu 8.04 and the only problem i have had is with Autocad, pretty much everything else i have tried has worked. There is an addon for wine somewhere that i have installed but i am pretty sure i hadn't installed it yet when i installed the stuff i have listed above and only installed it when i was trying to install Autocad.
Photoshop CS2 and winrar are the only apps I really ever needed to run under WINE. Well I tried CS3 but it didn't work.
Winrar, Ares (even the decoration works on that), Notepad++, Chicken Invaders, many more.

But the only ones I normally use are WinRAR and Notepad++. I never use Ares or CHicken Invaders, or any other games. the only game I play is RCT3, which doesn't work.

I can you give a long list of things that don't work :p
(2008-10-14, 09:10 PM)_Tim Wrote: [ -> ]Really i am using Ubuntu 8.04 and the only problem i have had is with Autocad, pretty much everything else i have tried has worked. There is an addon for wine somewhere that i have installed but i am pretty sure i hadn't installed it yet when i installed the stuff i have listed above and only installed it when i was trying to install Autocad.

I read somewhere that if you install Ubuntu using the Wubi Installer, which I did, it causes problems using Wine. Maybe that's my problem?
What amuses me about this post thread is the fact that folks use Linux because they don't like Windows, yet they want to use programs that are Windows based. It's kinda like wanting the best of both worlds, surely something has to give, what's wrong with the programs that are created for Linux?

Why not petition against the "non Linux based" program creators, and try getting them to create the programs for Linux?
It's not that I don't like linux programs it's just not everything has an equal(in my eyes). I mean photoshop I need for image editing because gimp I just have trouble understanding and adapting to after so much use of photoshop.

And trust me the linux community lets these companies know they want versions for linux it's just the market isn't large enough for them to take the money to make it.
Quote:It's not that I don't like linux programs it's just not everything has an equal(in my eyes).

The thing is (and this is what amuses me about all this), Linux in itself is certainly not equal to Windows as far as programs are concerned, you have to put quite a lot of effort into it to getting it running anything close to a Windows based system (that's if you want to do that). So why not put a little more effort into the programs that are available. You mentioned GIMP, even on a Windows based set up, that's supposedly not as easy to learn/use as under a Linux based system unless you're using it without using any other similar program.

Last year I set my computer (the one I had at the time) up to Ubuntu having XP in a seperate partition. Eventually I went to the "Mint" version, then went to PCLinux having it on my computer without any Windows system. PCLinux was the best one I used and I was able to get by with the software available for it. I'd like to go back to just having PCLinux again, but I bought a new computer earlier this year which has Vista on it, the computer has a huge hard drive on it compared to the old computer I had been using. I'm just not sure how to partition this set up and add PCLinux to it, and I'm also not sure that I want to completley remove Vista and have just the Linux set up on it.
Pages: 1 2