MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Thread displayed newest post first
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
On VB forums I always choose to view threads in reverse order with the newest post first. I would like to have that option in MyBB as well.
I don't get it Undecided

There's no obvious benefit for this... The whole point of a thread is to display things as they were said, not the other way around...

Just another over-feature for vB Rolleyes
I confess sometimes I read threads from bottom up.
(2008-10-15, 08:02 AM)Tom.M Wrote: [ -> ]I don't get it Undecided

There's no obvious benefit for this... The whole point of a thread is to display things as they were said, not the other way around...

Just another over-feature for vB Rolleyes
Don't knock it until you try it. It takes some getting used to but you will save a lot of time in a forum you frequently visit because when you open a thread you immediately get the latest posts on top. No more scrolling all the way down to get to the latest stuff, especially useful in a multi-page thread, you quickly get to the last page, not the first. I realize it isn't for everyone but I find it to be a very useful feature.
As a option i wouldnt care but forced.. No thanks. One place i am a member at ( vb forum ) they have it somehow set so you cant switch and reading posts there is very annoying. ugh
While I seldom use the feature--it's not very confusing. I am kind of scratching my head as to why someone would consider it an "over-feature".

Back before web forums were popular, most text based forum BBS message boards were always laid out with the newest posts first.
(2008-10-16, 07:16 AM)Baldilocks Wrote: [ -> ]While I seldom use the feature--it's not very confusing. I am kind of scratching my head as to why someone would consider it an "over-feature".

Back before web forums were popular, most text based forum BBS message boards were always laid out with the newest posts first.

Introducing... the lastpost feature!

Dodgy

I've used many vBulletin boards before, as have many of my friends, and none of us have stuck to using this feature. A topic is a conversation, logically the first thing you hear is the last thing said, so the last post shouldn't be the first as things were said before. It's basic language structure Angel...

Actually, think of it as a book. Do you want the ending to be at the beginning?!!

I don't object to it being a plugin - I just think there's plenty of things for the developers to do than to waste time ensuring this is an option.
(2008-10-15, 02:37 PM)sactown Wrote: [ -> ]you immediately get the latest posts on top

True, but what if there's 25 new posts inbetween the most recent and the last one you read?? You still have to find that last one you read, and then work backwards to get to the most recent.
(2008-10-16, 08:59 AM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-10-15, 02:37 PM)sactown Wrote: [ -> ]you immediately get the latest posts on top

True, but what if there's 25 new posts inbetween the most recent and the last one you read?? You still have to find that last one you read, and then work backwards to get to the most recent.

Hunting for the last post you read holds true even if the newest post is listed last.

The majority of the time for me, threads only have 2 or 3 new posts so when I have newest post listed first it is a quick scroll to find where I left off.

Like I said, it's not for everyone but once you get used to it, it is a real time saver.
True, but often when I come online where's been a new page made. I don't think enough people would use it for it to be made a default feature, it'd be best as a plugin.
Pages: 1 2