MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Making our OWN browsers work with MyBB.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, so I am downloading webkit, and I am viewing a blog on how to build your own browser.

Now I know there are at least four browers (on hand) that use Webkit.
-Opera
-Safari
-Google Chrome
-Konquerer

But if I made my own browser, what would I have to know other than PHP to make it work with the browser?
you would need to know alot of coding, php is basic, anyone can code lots of things with php, you also need to know mysql "For your browser database"

I don't know everything, I know it takes quite a while to make a browser though.
People spend weeks on them, months even.
Actually, this blog is covering it all.
I am going to make a test browser, then learn on my own.

And when I do make my own browser, I still want it to use webkit.
I don't even use webkit for my homemade browser.

It uses the Firefox engine with improved code.
Webkit is more standard compliant than Firefox's Gecko.

Also, Opera does not use Webkit, but its own proprietary engine - Presto. Likewise, Konqueror uses KHTML - WebKit's little brother. It was going to upgrade to Webkit, I don't know if it has yet.

If you are making a browser, you would not have to know PHP at all. If you are using WebKit it should all work fine by itself.

To make a web browser you generally need to know C or C++ for compatibility and speed's sake, plus the ease of integrating with WebKit. Using Lua, .NET, Python etc would not be as easy (or even possible) to use.

Quote:People spend weeks on them, months even.

Thats if you're very good. Using a Microsoft IDE makes it a lot easier, since you can just integrate the IE browser engine with one click, writing your own rendering engine (and JS engine) (or even using WebKit or Gecko) takes a lot of time and skill.

Making a decent browser is a lot of hard work. Placing an address bar, some buttons for back/foward/go etc is a very easy task, but you need things like tabs and lots of extra goodies these days.

If you are serious, good luck, but don't expect it to be an even halfway decent browser. Still, they can be fun to make. Smile
There is a wrapper for the WebKit library written in .NET, that makes easier handling WebKit in .NET.

But i would suggest you to do some sort of planning to avoid coding rewrites, time ago i made a custom browser (with some unique features) but the source code was so crappy that i decided to package it as an extension for IE (that it is a nightmare to extend).
(2008-10-17, 07:52 AM)blueparukia Wrote: [ -> ]Webkit is more standard compliant than Firefox's Gecko.

Also, Opera does not use Webkit, but its own proprietary engine - Presto. Likewise, Konqueror uses KHTML - WebKit's little brother. It was going to upgrade to Webkit, I don't know if it has yet.

If you are making a browser, you would not have to know PHP at all. If you are using WebKit it should all work fine by itself.

To make a web browser you generally need to know C or C++ for compatibility and speed's sake, plus the ease of integrating with WebKit. Using Lua, .NET, Python etc would not be as easy (or even possible) to use.

Quote:People spend weeks on them, months even.

Thats if you're very good. Using a Microsoft IDE makes it a lot easier, since you can just integrate the IE browser engine with one click, writing your own rendering engine (and JS engine) (or even using WebKit or Gecko) takes a lot of time and skill.

Making a decent browser is a lot of hard work. Placing an address bar, some buttons for back/foward/go etc is a very easy task, but you need things like tabs and lots of extra goodies these days.

If you are serious, good luck, but don't expect it to be an even halfway decent browser. Still, they can be fun to make. Smile

It doesn't take months.

I made a crappy but still a web browser in a total of 2 hours.
I've done it in less than 10 minutes with Visual Basic...

4 hours in C# with tabs and various settings.

But if you are aiming to release a browser, it takes time. A lot of work goes into IE, Firefox, Safari, Opera and the rest.

They are fun to make, and Clair just wants to test and learn - which is bloody brilliant, but people do spend months or more making them.
(2008-10-17, 12:47 PM)blueparukia Wrote: [ -> ]I've done it in less than 10 minutes with Visual Basic...

Oh Yes. I remember making that quite a while ago. Toungue
That is "reusing" components made by others not making own browser. Smile
Pages: 1 2