MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Experiences with MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I'm new to MyBB and I'd like to know what your experiences are with this BB? Looks pretty okay, but feedback would be nice Smile

Yours truly,
Ace
Ace-Someone Wrote:Hi,

I'm new to MyBB and I'd like to know what your experiences are with this BB? Looks pretty okay, but feedback would be nice Smile

Yours truly,
Ace

Extremely easy to use for new users, has all the advanced features for more experienced users and administrating the forums is pretty simple (eg. modifying the templates, themes, etc). One of the most interesting aspects of MyBB is the plugin system - which I believed should be developed further (with introductions of new plugins). Hopefully 1.0 Gold will produce this.
It's good. I like it. I think it's easy to customize and work in.

Needs more mods available, the mod-makers have pretty much disappeared (or remained quiet, don't know which is worse and not sure why the silence) and very little of the RC4 mods have been updated for PR2, but to be fair a lot of "sought after" mods for RC4 were incorporated into PR2. But the things I'm looking for like a blogging/journal modification, a shoutbox (has yet to be updated), an automated paid subscriber feature and cash mod w/ shop aren't available right now. I'm still waiting on an update for "Events on Index". Why it wasn't built into PR2, I have no idea. I thought it made sense. Also still waiting on a fix for the arcade mod.

Overall, though... the flexibility and strength myBB has as a forum software could put it in competition even with the "big 2", IPB and vB. It's not as good at this point, but I think it could be in due time.

It's a great piece of software. I made the move from phpBB and I'm glad I did! It's leaps and bounds above phpBB and much easier to work with than SMF.
It 'looks' a lot like phpBB, I might be wrong. I've always been a phpBB-users, until they started being so slow about the development, and their coding wasn't really reliable anymore. Is myBB XHTML-compliant?
what got me to give up PHPBB was that it closely to VB! and I was finding PHPBB ugly after I saw MYBB.

When I saw MYBB I played with it for 1 day then the next day I swiched from PHPBB to MYBB
All forums look similar, really. Categories, forums, etc. all cut up in tables.

Function-wise, I, personally, feel it's much better than phpBB. But... as anything, it all boils down to personal taste. My experience with phpBB wasn't too good.
Well, you guys convinced me to at least try MyBB Wink Slick enough, so!
I hope it'll work out, I'll get to it first thing tomorrow.
IMPAQ nice job on your message board!
NightLinks Wrote:IMPAQ nice job on your message board!

Thanks. Big Grin

It still needs some more work. Got some links that double up that need to be changed, etc.
phpBB is probably the most basic forum that can you can use. As people have said above, most forum software have the same core characteristics such as categories, forums, threads, and finally posts. But MyBB incorporates a much easier way to handle the board itself, over phpBB. There are more features that are included in MyBB without having to modify it. For example, attachments, and quick reply are something I use often, and they are built-in in MyBB. Moderating the forums is also easy with the inline moderation, and the new moderation queue right on the forum itself in MyBB PR2 and newer. Administrating the forums is very simple using the Admin Control Panel. It's not as complex as vBulletin, but has all the panels you need to customize and control most of the parts of the forum. I find that MyBB is a lot easier to customize in terms of being able to customize templates right on the Admin CP instead of having to upload a new .tpl file as phpBB requires. The installation is streamlined and has been revamped for MyBB PR2 and newer. Although it may require a few more steps than other forum software, you can see exactly what is going on and what still needs to be done. Upgrading your forums to newer versions are simple with MyBB as well. A version checker in the Admin Control Panel tells you if there is a newer version available. And upgrading can be done easily with the built-in upgrader when you download the newer package. MyBB is a middle-range product, and it can be used for almost any situation. It is not just a barebone forum software like phpBB where you have to add many modifications just to get the features you want, however, it is not as complex as a commercial product like vBulletin.

I am on the MyBB team, and you might believe that my opinion about MyBB may be biased in that sense. However, I have used the other forum software, including phpBB, IPB and using the front-end, MCP, ACP of vBulletin before settling with MyBB, so I am familiar with the other forum software as well.

I hope that satisfies your inquiry.
Pages: 1 2