MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: *Edit* help, how to use Gmail with Mybb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
EDIT: This thread has turned into a "how to use Gmail with Mybb"

The "Instant Email Notification" apparently isn't considered an "opt-in" by my web host (Dreamhost). A lot of my users have chosen to subscribe to various threads and would like to be notified by email after a new post is posted. After explaining my situation to Dreamhost they replied to me with the paragraph below.

Quote:We see similar situations on a weekly basis and regretfully receive spam
notices many times a week that originate from bulletin boards with this
kind of feature implemented. This is a very common abuse scenario that we
run into. If you are not going to have some sort of opt-in confirmation
specifically for the mailings , then we must ask that you deactivate this
feature. Maybe as an alternative, use RSS to keep readers abreast of new
updates to the topic. If you have opt-in confirmation to recieve these
e-mails that is logged, including date, time and IP of confirmation that
you have proof of consent that the recipients want those mails. This
serves as our evidence against any spam markings that come in to us,
therefore helping to keep our shared mail IPs off of 3rd party
blacklistings.

What would you suggest I do? I don't want to switch hosts at this time.

Thanks,

Jeremy
As a temporary solution make a backup of the tables 'threadsubscriptions' & 'forumsubscriptions' (add the mybb tables prefix) and disable the subscription feature to threads and forums.

Try to request a plugin/modification and explain your situation, a simple text log will suffice, just make an archive for it every now and then.

You should modify the file '.\inc\functions_user.php', there are 2 functions to edit:
function add_subscribed_thread($tid, $notification=1, $uid="")
function add_subscribed_forum($fid, $uid="")

The simple solution will just add a call to a third function that will collect and log to a text file every subscription with the required info (date, time, ip, user-id, email, thread-id/forum-id).
Every week or month you should archive the file in a specific directory and a new file will be created (and never delete these archives).

The smartest solution will alter the tables mentioned above to contain the required info and will change the queries in the mentioned functions.

GoodLuck
Sounds way too advanced to me, but I understand what your saying.

In the meantime, I've entered my Dreamhost SMTP info into the SMPT section in Mybb. I tested by subscribing to a thread and to receive an email notifying me of a new post. I received and email from my address that is set up as the contact email for the board, which is my gmail account. Why is this? I am complete newb when it comes to SMTP, email forward and the such.

I have zero errors in the System Email Log.
(2008-11-02, 05:53 PM)gimmezell Wrote: [ -> ]I received and email from my address that is set up as the contact email for the board, which is my gmail account. Why is this?

Well that's the way MyBB was designed. By default, MyBB uses the "Admin email" setting in the Admin CP for sending emails:

Admin CP --> Configuration --> Settings --> General Configuration
Admin Email
The administrator's email address. This will be used for outgoing emails sent via the forums.
I understand what your saying Dennis but any mail that MyBB sends out is it using my Gmail account or my Dreamhost account?
As in The MyBB Mailing List?
(2008-11-03, 07:23 PM)Hapatio Wrote: [ -> ]As in The MyBB Mailing List?

I'm speaking of the instant email notifications that users receive when they choose to subscribe to certain threads.
(2008-11-03, 07:16 PM)gimmezell Wrote: [ -> ]I understand what your saying Dennis but any mail that MyBB sends out is it using my Gmail account or my Dreamhost account?

It uses the mailing server provided by your host to distribute emails, but it uses your "Admin E-mail" address to show which email address it is coming from.
(2008-11-03, 07:16 PM)gimmezell Wrote: [ -> ]I understand what your saying Dennis but any mail that MyBB sends out is it using my Gmail account or my Dreamhost account?

It's use your gmail address as the sender, but the actual sending is by Dreamhost's servers. They can't use your real gmail account since they don't know your password.
(When a server send an email, the server can send the message with any email address in the 'from' field like the other fields)
(2008-11-04, 10:41 PM)dvb Wrote: [ -> ]

It's use your gmail address as the sender, but the actual sending is by Dreamhost's servers. They can't use your real gmail account since they don't know your password.
(When a server send an email, the server can send the message with any email address in the 'from' field like the other fields)

Gotcha. If I wanted all email handled via gmail can I use the the phpmailer tactic?

I'm basically looking for a method of getting any email sent from MyBB to the users without any restrictions (200 emails per hour). Which would mean taking Dreamhost out of the email sending process.
Pages: 1 2 3