MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: A serious question for the devs of MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When u first started to write the forum and i mean the alpha code of 0.0.1 or so.
The very first file and such, did u have a very big experience with PHP? As im am going to start writing a forum on my own unfortunately i don't have that much knowledge in php like you guys do. I know the basics.
I was learning classes a long time ago but i abandoned that and rested a while. So what knowledge did u have then when u first decided to write mybb(or it was not mybb then)?
A version number of 0.0.1 would be nowhere near an alpha release, also I believe some of your question is answered here.
My question was not about how mybb came to be but what knowledge did they have back then. Was it basic or medium or expert?

P.S
Where can i download RC1?
You can download older versions here.
Chris had previous experience on the XMB team. He decided to start over and create MyBB, so yes I guess you would say he had some experience with PHP, though not as much as we know now.
So this clue leads to XMB previous version. Thanks
Let me say this, I am not very experienced with php and mysql. I am writing my own BB software just for kicks and its HARD! My tip is learn it first and then go with the flow... or its error and confusion heaven!
(2008-11-17, 01:06 AM)kruzzen Wrote: [ -> ]Let me say this, I am not very experienced with php and mysql. I am writing my own BB software just for kicks and its HARD! My tip is learn it first and then go with the flow... or its error and confusion heaven!

It shouldn't be hard for a beginner, all it is is connecting to the database and adding, removing, editing, and viewing information. If you're not making it modular in any way, it should be easy for a beginner (IMO).
I made one that didn't require a registration system, trying to add that is what is confusing me. I don't get a lot of time for it though. But since its winter I guess I will have the time... i hate the cold so much I either nap all winter or binge drink LOL so maybe I should develop instead...

Who knows, maybe I can get good and join the MyBB Group Big Grin Be the first redneck support guide LOL I can see it now...

Quote:MyBBuser says:
I am getting a mysql error for table "mybb_something" and postthread.php isn't working.

Quote:Kruzzen says:
Go down yander to that there over yander and kick it. Then try duct tape...

I will just shut up now before my sleep deprivation makes me look dumber...
(2008-11-16, 07:52 PM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]So this clue leads to XMB previous version. Thanks

You don't need a clue other than to go read the information that's on this site. It's all here...the history, how mybb started, and such.
Pages: 1 2