MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Recount - Rebuild error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Here's the response from my host where the server is located.

Quote:Hello,

We are more than happy to assist with this inquiry. We wanted to begin by saying that we truly want to help with whatever issue you may have with you server, however in some cases we are limited in what we can assist with. Specifically this applies to third party software, we offer limited to no support on software that is created by other individuals or organizations. In this particular instance we have copied over a php.ini file into the directory of the forum so that it affects that directory. There was not a php.ini file previously housed in this location. We also made an adjustment to the max_execution time field within this php.ini file. We changed it from 30 seconds to 180 seconds to ensure that this is not an underlying cause of the problem. We have checked on the issue and even with this change it seems that there is a problem. Even when we try this process for 1 thumbnail it doesn't respond to the process. We believe that there may be a problem with my BB and unfortunately we cannot support this forum software, as it is not our software. Please make sure that any requirements of this software are met by the server configuration. If you feel there is a software requirement that may not be covered, we will be more than willing to investigate this. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for your time and patience.
What version of PHP and GD do they have installed?
php 5.2.6
MySQL version 5.0.51a-community

GD Support enabled
GD Version bundled (2.0.34 compatible)
FreeType Support enabled
FreeType Linkage with freetype
FreeType Version 2.2.1
GIF Read Support enabled
GIF Create Support enabled
JPG Support enabled
PNG Support enabled
WBMP Support enabled
XPM Support enabled
XBM Support enabled
Can you maybe try upping the memory limit to memory_limit = 50M?
The memory as it's set right now should be able to rebuild 1 attachment/picture.. Or am I wrong? It's not even doing that.
(2008-12-01, 04:39 AM)hemi Wrote: [ -> ]The memory as it's set right now should be able to rebuild 1 attachment/picture.. Or am I wrong? It's not even doing that.

depends on the picture
(2008-12-01, 04:42 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-12-01, 04:39 AM)hemi Wrote: [ -> ]The memory as it's set right now should be able to rebuild 1 attachment/picture.. Or am I wrong? It's not even doing that.

depends on the picture

most my pics are not very big. usually under 120 KB.
UPDATE: Moved it to 100 for memory and got the yellow proceed bar to appear. Could go thru about 8 pages then a blank sceen again appears. I will contact my host when a better tech is on Monday and see of he can't give me a hand again.
http://wiki.mybboard.net/index.php/Requirements

No where on this page do I see minimum requirements to run MyBB on a dedicated server. It would be nice to see since what I bought I assumed was ample enough server to run MyBB. I don't have exact figures, but I'd say the reason why this issue hasn't been reported before is because most people run on a shared server. Most hosts have their shared units set up well with 8 processors and 8 gig mem, at least mine does. Or their local machines are set up well like mine is. This is a LOT of resources in the Recount & rebuild area. If you have further questions MyBB, please feel free to ask me. At this time I'm at a loss as what to do except put my forum back on a shared system and at that I may get booted with the server load MyBB is using. It was even suggested for me to choose a less resource using software. O.o imo this is a very serious issue and either a bug or design flaw in MyBB.

My server specs are
Pentium4 3.4 GHz
160 gb hd
1024 Mem
Fully Managed w/backup 160 hd
2000 gig transfer a month

Quote:Hello xxxxxx,

As per our phone conversation, I'm sending you this ticket to reiterate what we went over on the phone. You wanted to address the issue of your server not handling the load generated by the Recount/Rebuild program in your myBB installation. Dennis suggested getting a Core Duo with 2 GB of RAM. This solution is currently out of your budget. Alternatively, we tried to find a solution in the software itself. The three possible errors are as follows: PHP using too much processing power (100%), GD instances building to large a resource load, and a possible memory leak in the program or a failure to dump data after processes terminate.

The issues that brought about this speculation is: when trying to run 140 rebuilds at a time, PHP consumes all processing resources and is killed- this can stem from GD using too many resources to manipulate the images. After running the program about 40 times at 20 rebuilds per run, the software still crashes; the speculated issue being a tie up of resources. More specifically it bears the question of whether the actual program itself is leaking memory, or failing to dump memory, which is causing a build up and eventually overloading the ram after about 800 images being processed.

Please feel free to post this to the MyBB admins to try to clear up some of these issues. Please let us know their response so we can try to devise a proper means to satisfactorily handling this situation. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. Thank you.

Regards,

btw-this server is only 125 a month US. I can't spend anymore than that
The specs on your server isn't an issue but from the looks of it this sounds more like a PHP / GD bug and not a MyBB one. I've run rebuild attachment thumbnails several times before on ncaabbs without problems.

I may not have time until the weekend but can you send me FTP details and I'll try and take a look more specifically?
(2008-12-02, 10:25 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]The specs on your server isn't an issue but from the looks of it this sounds more like a PHP / GD bug and not a MyBB one. I've run rebuild attachment thumbnails several times before on ncaabbs without problems.

I may not have time until the weekend but can you send me FTP details and I'll try and take a look more specifically?

You want just ftp or any server login info also?
Pages: 1 2 3