MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Problems with GZip and FireFox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm not sure how to describe the problem I have, so I'll just type down the symptoms and what I have tried Smile

At first I could load the forum in IE but not in FF (all I got in the body was "{"). When I tried from another computer it didn't load in either of the browsers.
A friend tried, and he could access with both IE and FF but in FF it looked like as what's described in this thread: http://community.mybboard.net/showthread.php?tid=3124
(but our settings are ok)
I also noticed that in IE the page loaded with errors, which went away if I turned of my firewall.

I've tried to change alot of settings in the forum now, and turning of GZip made it load in FF for me, but now it looks like it does for my friend (who noticed no difference from the change) .. as if the css doesn't load, even if logged in.
And for some reason it doesn't load in IE anymore either, if I turn on GZip again .. which worked before.

Oh and the admin panel is working as it should, both in IE and FF.

Any ideas?
Turn gzip and page headers off, set the cookies for your forum, and rebuild all cache's.

Then both of you clean your cookies and cache and log back in. See if it makes any difference. And if you have firefox developers bar, Options > Persist Styles might help.
With page headers, I assume you mean the setting Send Standard Headers?

I've tried your suggestions, but no difference.
I don't have the developers bar, and would prefer to get it to work without it since I don't want the visitors to need it.

And perhaps I wasn't clear, the admin pages works in both IE and FF no matter if GZip is turned on or off..
Do you have a link to your forum? And what kind of server do you have?
It's just a simple free hosting that we've setup for the time being
http://www.jaysay10.2freegigs.com/forum/
I'll check and see if I can find any info about the server.

On a sidenote, even tho I have turned off to show any board statistics the header for it still shows which could be removed since no information is shown Smile
The server seems to be a Linux machine, kernel 2.4.25
Apache 1.3.33 (Unix), PHP 4.3.9 and MySQL 4.0.22-standard

Ok I see your forum is fine, except for the CSS. Your host puts automatic advertisements at the bottom of all of your pages, and thus rendering your CSS invalid. This is one way to fix it, but it has its limitations.

Go to http://www.jaysay10.2freegigs.com/forum/css.php?theme=2, view the source, and copy all the text, except for the advertisement <script> at the bottom.
Paste the text in a new text file on your computer (using notepad) and save it as mybbdefault.css.
Upload the file to your forum.
Go to Admin CP --> Templates --> Expand your template --> headerinclude and replace
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css.php?theme=$theme[tid]" />
with
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="mybbdefault.css" />
Thanks a bunch, that solved it!
Free hosts aren't always good Wink
You're welcome. A +rep would be appreciated Wink
One last question on the issue, turning on GZip still doesn't work.
Can that too have something to do with the server/host?
It's not a biggie, since it works fine when turning it off .. but I have no problems with pages elsewhere that has GZip turned on.
Pages: 1 2