MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [F] Google Chrome Issues [C-Rcpalace]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I think part of the problem might be that CodePress doesn't have WebKit browser support yet. I do have a module for this somewhere, though I thought I added it to the MyBB package already. I'll dig up the module, make sure it works, then add it again.
I've addressed the problem to Google support. There's nothing the support can do
Chrome normally uses the version before the latest WebKit, for some strange reason - not sure whether this is still true, but was throughout most of its beta period.

Google will always see the problem as someone elses problem...
(2008-12-17, 08:17 AM)HotPockets Wrote: [ -> ]I've addressed the problem to Google support. There's nothing the support can do

(2008-12-17, 09:11 AM)Tom.M Wrote: [ -> ]Google will always see the problem as someone elses problem...

Which is nothing more than I expected.

So, now it's either a case of finding precisely what the problem is, why it happens and attempting to fixing it, or finding out it can't be overcome...
I have it working 50% in chrome now. It shows line numbers and highlights like half of the elements it highlights in Firefox.

The reason for failure is really stupid. For Chrome, the engine is set to 'khtml' in admin/jscripts/codepress/codepress.html. However, the corresponding files admin/jscripts/codepress/engines/khtml.js has 0 bytes. Thus the required engine code is simply not there at all and therefore it's no wonder that nothing works. So far it's definitely not the fault of Chrome itself, it's the CodePress code that makes a difference between browser engines used.

So without making any changes except forcing Chrome to use the 'gecko' engine instead of the nonexistant 'khtml' engine, CodePress in Chrome starts looking like this:

[attachment=12064]

Even though the bells and whistles it has in Firefox are missing (real gecko highlights more and shows more intensive colors), it's a huge improvement compared to Chrome showing only an input field without line numbers and without any color at all.

3 months since the bug was reported at CodePress and no one could get at least this far? Huh I checked out the SVN, the khtml.js there has 0 bytes also. Shucks.
imho Mybb team should take an official.."we do not support Chrome" stance until Chrome is more developed. The Chrome bugs are imho annoying. The end result is always the same....Chrome has the problem not Mybb.

Hey I like Chrome but you can't expect Mybb to spend it's time wondering why something in Chrome isn't being happy with Mybb. Mybb works as far as I can tell in every major browser for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Chrome starts up a few months ago and Mybb should spend it's valuable time helping to debug their BS?

At least that's my opinion.
Mmm I know, and I don't think or expect that anything will be done about it if it's a big issue or will be a pain to fix, but if it's a relatively simple thing to add or edit, no reason why it shouldn't be done really. And if not for 1.4, maybe by 1.6 something could have been discovered and implemented...??
It shouldn't be done because while Chrome may be out of Beta it's still very buggy and it will be getting a lot more changes in the months to come. Mybb has it's own problems and bugs to deal with. Just having to look into it is time consuming and the chances of it being a Chrome problem are 99%. Maybe if others took the time to find the exact bug and the fix Mybb can do it but do you really want Ryan and Zinga to spend their time fixing a Chrome bug?

By the time 1.6 is released...I bet Chrome will have their own bugs fixed. Think about that.

Mybb already has policies about what it does and what it does not support. I don't see anything saying that Mybb supports the Chrome browser. Why not have Mybb debug for MSsql too? I tell ya why..because Mybb wasn't built for mssql. It wasn't built to work on Chrome either.
I don't know about Chrome bugs, haven't seen many so far, as I explained in my last reply, CodePress not working in Chrome is not the fault of Chrome at all. It's because CodePress checks what kind of browser is being used (so the only fix for Chrome would be to lie and claim to be Gecko instead of something else) and ends up loading a zero byte JavaScript file instead of one that actually tries to do anything. It's CodePress being a stupid prat here, blaming Chrome for it is wrong. Chrome actually does a great job for a browser that just left beta stage. Most things work and the things that don't are hacks made specifically for other browsers, such as the CodePress engine selector.
(2008-12-17, 10:53 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Chrome actually does a great job for a browser that just left beta stage.

Good point. How long has IE been going now?? Over 13 years. The full IE7, i.e. non beta, has been around for over 2 years, and that is still bug ridden. Chrome has been out around 3 months, and no, it's not perfect, I'm not saying that for one second, but there isn't much wrong with it at all.
Pages: 1 2 3