MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: LikeBB: who help me?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2008-12-26, 03:16 PM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]Are you sure you have enough PHP knowledge to do it?? I thought you were just learning.

FTW = For the win.

I thought it ment: **** the world.
(2008-12-27, 02:42 AM)Chasingu Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-12-26, 03:16 PM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]Are you sure you have enough PHP knowledge to do it?? I thought you were just learning.

FTW = For the win.

I thought it ment: **** the world.

I prefer the former definition.
...if it ain't broke don't try and fix it...
Why not just make a theme called LikeBB?

And as for learning PHP, there are tons of e-books out there.
I use Tizag.com.
Its a tutorial site.
Yeah I think a theme will be better. I don't think you understand how much work there will be and if you don't know much PHP yet, it really isn't worth attempting. I read somewhere 1.4 has around a quarter of a million lines of code, could you see yourself managing that??
(2008-12-27, 12:56 PM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah I think a theme will be better. I don't think you understand how much work there will be and if you don't know much PHP yet, it really isn't worth attempting. I read somewhere 1.4 has around a quarter of a million lines of code, could you see yourself managing that??

Holy S**T!!!
If its that much code lines...Dayumn!
Are you serious?
I'll have to make a donation, with that kind of dedication....
However I want edit myb, i don't want create a new board since 0!
However dude this is the thread where I find staff http://www.mybbitalia.com/showthread.php?tid=105 You can write in nglish, no problema for me!
MattR Wrote:Yeah I think a theme will be better. I don't think you understand how much work there will be and if you don't know much PHP yet, it really isn't worth attempting. I read somewhere 1.4 has around a quarter of a million lines of code, could you see yourself managing that??
Giangy's created plugins before, and themes I think. Giangy, I've sent you a PM at MyBB Palace. You can't expect a forum to be born overnight, and be done by then (just like all the ones I've created Toungue)

I say we get a PHP Coder or two. I will help with the layout, and HTML, definetly. I will also maintain the support forums for it if you want. Just no PHP for me Sad

You can't just assume, that just because Giangy has not a lot of PHP Experience, that this project can't be done. It'll take a while, but it can be done.

EDIT: Yeah, Tizag rules, I learned HTML there...
I've been programming with PHP for nearly a year now, and I'm nowhere near ready to start designing a program to launch to the public. Designing a PHP program is way more complicated than most people think, even more for a Forum program. It's not a solo project. MyBB is only here because we've had so many developers through the years. If Chris was the only developer, we would probably not be here on this forum today.
Well RenegadeFan, it's not necessarily true. They can go for it, but it will be quite a struggle in the beginning. However, they'll expand their knowledge which is the key. Hey, Chris Boulton started at XMB learned PHP, became an XMB developer, then forked it and called it DevBB, and then started MyBB from scratch (of course with others).

Coming to think of it, I followed a similar path, I downloaded a software, forked it, and then started another from scratch. The only difference though, was only 5 lines of code was left from the software that I forked. Toungue

Anyway, as I said in my previous post, I highly suggest gaining a good extent knowledge of PHP & MySQL before diving in, maybe start with something small. Go to sourceforge and download a small PHP script, modify it, add to it, and in the process you'll be learning PHP and how to start a project, and from which end to tackle it. --> I tell this to everyone I've taught, and it never failed.

The main thing they try to tackle in the beginning is "How do I start a project? From where do I begin?" and this is usually if not always solved by what I tell them as described above. Of course though, they'd already have the PHP knowledge.
Best of luck.
Pages: 1 2 3