MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: LikeBB: who help me?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Even if you have PHP knowledge, you'd need a lot of time to write something remotely like MyBB from scratch. I'm not a PHP programmer myself, but it already takes me weeks if not months to write a plugin that meets my own quality standards, and that is only a fraction of the functionality of a board. Not only writing the code is time consuming, but also testing it and getting ideas for improvements and coming up with good ways of getting them into code.

My TODO list is already full of projects that will probably never be finished because I just lack the time to do them. It's easy to make great plans and great ideas, but it takes months if not years to make them a reality. Even with some programming knowledge you have to make a choice as to what project to work on, and projects that do nothing but reinvent the wheel, is not on the very top of the list of possible choices.
One day I will master PHP and develop WildBB but for now, I think I will focus on my MyBB Forums Smile If MyBB quit updating and just faded out... I'd be forced to develop wildbb because there isn't any better software out there Big Grin

* Shawn Gossman is a mybb brown noser Wink
Don't bite off more than you can chew. As mentioned earlier in this thread, MyBB 1.4 contains I think half a million lines of code. Even the very BASIC BB can still have HUNDREDS of lines of code. I don't think you're quite ready to fork MyBB yet. Even I would love to fork MyBB but right now, there's too many options in the main stream that work. You don't just launch a fork and expect it to be as big as MyBB overnight. Also, if you want to learn a thing or two about development, hang out in the MyBB Support board.
It's actually a quarter million, but it's still a lot, and modifying it still requires good knowledge.
Even if I had as much PHP knowledge as someone like Ryan, I had no other commitments, loads of spare time and some other people to help me, I still wouldn't consider myself ready to even fork some software. I mean I admire your determination but I think you will run into difficulties quite quickly.
Well I started learning C++ by forking a C++ open source project. It lasted for three years. Smile
Now I don't have any ideas on what kind of project I should do Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3