MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What's the trick to create HQ transparent gifs in PS?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I typically save all of my image files as png's because I cannot figure out the method used in order to save GIF images that have a transparent backgrounds which hold the quality as shown in Photoshop while you're editing them.. they always get distorted when I save them...

What is the trick here!.. I've put it off long enough but I really want to know now.. Cool
Haven't used PS in such a long time... in Photoshop Elements, you can use the "Save for web" option, which you can then fiddle around until you get the quality right - have you tried using it?

I use Fireworks for all my web stuff... Rolleyes
Hmm.. Ok, there is an option when saving, for "web".. I'll give that a shot...
The larger and more complex the GIF is the lower the quality. That's what PNG is for - transparency but without animation. 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other really...

Save for Web is the best option with PS... I can't remember if CS4 has it in or not though...
Agh. It seems that with any combination of options I use the edges come out all distorted.

What I'm trying to do is create some icons that are 22x22. The current image I'm trying to save is only grayscale. The image is grey with transparent edges. Maybe that is the problem? I notice that with give images their is this "matte" option and it basically transforms the semi-transparent pixels into that matte color. For instance, I see icon sets made either for dark backgrounds or light backgrounds.. Wouldn't it just be easier to save as png images? I can't see a reason why I'd ever want to save as GIF. Such a headache dealing with them.
(2009-02-23, 11:58 AM)Tomm- Wrote: [ -> ]The larger and more complex the GIF is the lower the quality. That's what PNG is for - transparency but without animation. 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other really...

Save for Web is the best option with PS... I can't remember if CS4 has it in or not though...

Ya, I'm still using PS7 haha.. Old school. Cool

I think I might just give PS4 a shot since I can get a month's free trial with it.
Unless you're making animations, there isn't much point... a PNG (in my opinion) is much better with transparency than a GIF.

If a GIF is the only thing you want, Fireworks makes GIFs better than Photoshop with transparency without quality loss. I guess Adobe haven't figured that out since they took over Macromedia...
I hear you... I strictly use GIF for animation and nothing more. Thing is, I want to create some icon sets for MyBB and most of them are hard-wired as GIF images. I'm going to be working on several sets of "on/off/offlick" images (the forum status images) and I just figured it'd be easier saving as GIF, if I could to save other users the hassle of setting them up with their theme. Eh, I'll just throw in instructions on how to switch the extensions in their themes to png's.. That will be hectic for some, but it seems to be the best option.
XNView is a free product that can convert images - including png to gif. I haven't used it in god knows how long, but from what I can remember it was very good at converting images without much quality loss.

I remember having to edit a few GIFs it converted, just simple things like removing a stray pixel or two, but they were easy to get rid of - even with MS Paint's eraser...
I'll check that out. I'm sure I'll have to get my feet wet with this stuff sooner or later, as much as I hate doing so..

Thanks for the tips though Tom Smile
Save it as .png.gif

Initially save it as .png, then change the file name as .gif. MyBB will recognize the image as a .gif, but it will have the quality as a .png.
Pages: 1 2 3