MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Get 404 error when clicking into a forum.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello,

I've just set up a new installation of MyBB at http://www.marriedandhappy.com/Forum

I've set up an admin account and two user accounts.

I've set up two forums that are meant to be general purpose forums that are available to the general public.

I've set up 5 additional forums that are meant to be visible only to people I grant group permission to.

As far as I can tell, all of this works ok.

The problem I have is that when I click on a forum to go into it and post a new thread, I get a "HTML 404 not found" error.

This happens whether I'm one of the "Registered" users or I'm Admin.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks for your help.
I think you have enabled SEO Url's. Rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess.
You'll need to rename that, disable SEF URLs, and then enable them again.
Gentlemen, I really appreciate your help...

Per your instructions, I renamed the htaccess.txt file to .htaccess

I then went to Admin CP, disabled SEF URL's, saved, then went back and enabled them and saved again.

Then, I tested the forum and got the exact same 404 error.

Next, I disabled SEF URL's, tested the forum and it DOES let me in to the forums.

Next, I re-enabled SEF URL's, tested, and it does NOT let me into the forums.

I really prefer to have SEF URL's.

My .htaccess file has -rw-r--r-- permissions. I attempted to attach my .htaccess file but the forum says I can't attach that type of file.

???

Again, I appreciate all the help I can get in resolving this matter.
Update...

I also tried the "Automatic Detection" setting for SEF URL's and that does NOT let me into the forums either.
Is there anyone who can help me?

I'd really like for this to work...

I spent 3 days messing with the Vanilla system trying to get it to work properly. After no support or response, I finally abandoned it, looked at a variety of other systems and finally selected MyBB. Now, here I am at the end of my 2nd day messing with this system and it's not working either.

???
Ask your host if they support mod_rewrite. If they don't, it won't work for you.
(2009-03-18, 10:13 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Ask your host if they support mod_rewrite. If they don't, it won't work for you.

I just got off the phone with my hosting company (GoDaddy) and they said that my shared hosting account DOES support mod_rewrite but that it can sometimes take up to 2 - 3 hours to "propagate" changes.

???
Then if after those 2-3 hours it still hasn't changed, we can look at it more Smile
(2009-03-18, 10:36 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Then if after those 2-3 hours it still hasn't changed, we can look at it more Smile

Actually, I made the changes this morning (over 8 hours ago) and as of just a few minutes ago, nothing has changed.

Let me ask a few more questions...

Is there anything related to hidden forums (forums that are only visible to people who've been granted permission) that could be causing this?

I ask this because I set up the two general public forums first and I'm sure I was able to get in at that point. Then, I added the hidden forums. It wasn't until after I had added all of the forums that I noticed I couldn't get in.

???

Also, if I go ahead and use the forum with SEF URL's disabled, could I turn them on later - when things supposedly will work better - and everything make the transition ok? Or, is this one of those deals where you need to pick one up front and stick with it?
It doesn't matter if you have hidden forums, for some people. It should still work.

Obviously it's something with SEF URLS. Possibly rename your .htaccess to htaccess.txt and see if you can attach it then.
As long as htaccess.txt is renamed to .htaccess, and your host supports mod_rewrite, it should work, and if it doesn't, I can't see it being an issue with MyBB. Maybe see what CHMODing .htaccess to rw-rw-rw- does.

And yeah, you can enable them whenever you want. When it'd enabled, the 'usual' style links will still work too, if there's links in posts or something.
Pages: 1 2 3