MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How was MyBB designed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
OK, here I go again... That's my personal opinion, I've used it and I don't like the way it generates the code, if you like it well then good for you.
(2009-03-23, 07:16 PM)seeker Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-03-23, 06:43 PM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]Sure it does. I gave it a whirl while helping out a friend, the code is unorganized, rubbish...

OK, please show me the rubbish... (other than the "Lorem ipsum...")

<body class="oneColLiqCtrHdr">

<div id="container">
  <div id="header">
    <h1>Header</h1>
  <!-- end #header --></div>
  <div id="mainContent">
    <h1> Main Content </h1>
    <p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Praesent aliquam,  justo convallis luctus rutrum, erat nulla fermentum diam, at nonummy quam  ante ac quam. Maecenas urna purus, fermentum id, molestie in, commodo  porttitor, felis. Nam blandit quam ut lacus. Quisque ornare risus quis  ligula. Phasellus tristique purus a augue condimentum adipiscing. Aenean  sagittis. Etiam leo pede, rhoncus venenatis, tristique in, vulputate at,  odio. Donec et ipsum et sapien vehicula nonummy. Suspendisse potenti. Fusce  varius urna id quam. Sed neque mi, varius eget, tincidunt nec, suscipit id,  libero. In eget purus. Vestibulum ut nisl. Donec eu mi sed turpis feugiat  feugiat. Integer turpis arcu, pellentesque eget, cursus et, fermentum ut,  sapien. Fusce metus mi, eleifend sollicitudin, molestie id, varius et, nibh.  Donec nec libero.</p>
    <h2>H2 level heading </h2>
    <p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Praesent aliquam,  justo convallis luctus rutrum, erat nulla fermentum diam, at nonummy quam  ante ac quam. Maecenas urna purus, fermentum id, molestie in, commodo  porttitor, felis. Nam blandit quam ut lacus. Quisque ornare risus quis  ligula. Phasellus tristique purus a augue condimentum adipiscing. Aenean  sagittis. Etiam leo pede, rhoncus venenatis, tristique in, vulputate at, odio.</p>
	<!-- end #mainContent --></div>
  <div id="footer">
    <p>Footer</p>
  <!-- end #footer --></div>
<!-- end #container --></div>
</body>
</html>

Where's the garbage? Huh

That's the bare minimum basics (plus, I have no idea what they mean by oneColLiqCtrHdr). If you were to design a website with integrated server side scripting (i.e. php) or a larger/more professional website it wouldn't work out.

Besides not many of us would want to pay up an arm and a leg just for that.
You would have bought it for no reason, really... Only someone who was a real coder would disregard the WYSIWYG. It's basically Notepad++ with a WYSIWYG editor and a few more buttons, tbh.
I use a pirated version of php designer and the cpannel file editor for minor stuff such as typos
(2009-03-19, 11:13 PM)dyrer Wrote: [ -> ]If you are looking for a good editor for PHP in Linux "Geany" is the best, for windows PHP Designer and many more

That helps. Toungue

Thanks
Quote:Dreamweaver CS4 can make standards-compliant, clean code...

Perhaps, but its generated code that is overally bloated and slow, for instance it always uses Javascript for rollover images. And I do own and have extremely thoroughly tested Dreamweaver CS4.

Quote:OK, please show me the rubbish.

With pleasure.

Quote:<body class="oneColLiqCtrHdr">

A class on a body. If you know anything about HTML/CSS/JS, you'll know that is completely pointless.

Quote: <div id="header">
<h1>Header</h1>

So define the header as div, when the actual header is a H1. There should only be one H1 (for SEO page structure reasons) per page, so it's container does not need an id, since the H1 can be referenced directly by the CSS. If you were styling the div itself, then perhaps that could suffice, hard to tell without the CSS.

Quote: <!-- end #header --></div>
No, really? </div> means a division is closing, I never would have guessed. If your syntax is so bad that you really, really can't tell what element is closing, use something like <!--#header-->, since you know </div> means end div, all you need to know is what div.

Quote: <div id="mainContent">
<h1> Main Content </h1>

That's two H1s on a page. The page title should be contained in a H1, every other heading is a subset of that, so should be at least H2.

Quote:<div id="footer">
<p>Footer</p>

This could be necessary, so I won't nitpick it so much, but as "footer" is a block element, there is no real need (without seeing your CSS) to have a paragraph inside it, especially when the text "Footer" is clearly not a paragraph.

And that is on an EXTREMELY basic page.
Today i have tested Code Lobster PHP Edition and is also a very good editor and is Free with registration
(2009-05-25, 11:51 AM)unws Wrote: [ -> ]I use a pirated version of php designer and the cpannel file editor for minor stuff such as typos

Why pirate phpDesigner? It's a very nice piece of software that is priced well below what Michael should be charging for it. (Currently priced at $51 USD for a non-commercial license)

I use phpDesigner, and I will never look at a single other IDE so long as it exists.

In fact, phpDesigner and SmartFTP are the reasons I could never fully switch to Linux over Windows. <_<;
Aptana is just as powerful as phpDesigner and free.
I'm using a simple WYSIWYG Web Editor to create designs that just went through my head.

But later on I do code everything with Wordpad.
I don't know why, I just like it.
No syntax highlightning but I really don't need it.

I can write JS, HTML and PHP in it and it just works.

Misteriously I'm using the Windows Editor for CSS... no idea why though.

*goes and thinks about it*
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5