MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: No PM subject needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I think we shouldn't always need to fill in the PM "Subject:" field. And if we don't, it should just say <No Subject>.. I don't see why it always needs to be filled.
I converted a community from a proprietary forum software to MyBB, and the old software didn't use subjects for PMs, so I set generic subjects like "message by <name>", could have just as well used "no subject".

Those PMs are really hard to read because the MyBB list of PMs shows only subject, name and date. Without a subject, there is zero info on what the message was about, so if you have 20 "no subject" PMs in your folder you have to open every single message to find whatever you're looking for. It really sucks, so I'm really happy that PMs in MyBB come with a proper subject.

The other software that didn't use subjects for PMs, didn't display a list of PMs like MyBB, but instead it showed all messages directly, like how all postings are shown in a thread. That worked, but made pages long, and very mixed if you had two conversations over PM running at the same time.
I don't like this idea.
Maybe also show a little snipplet of the message, say x characters, along with the rest of the information. Half of the PMs I get just have a stupid subject anyways, so using the subject to guess the content isn't the easiest thing to do.
Do it like Gmail does it. Oh I like it that way! Smile
(2009-04-17, 01:30 PM)Tom Loveric Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe also show a little snipplet of the message, say x characters, along with the rest of the information. Half of the PMs I get just have a stupid subject anyways, so using the subject to guess the content isn't the easiest thing to do.

Yeah, this would be cool. I hate having to enter subjects for really short PMs.
(2009-04-17, 10:02 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-04-17, 01:30 PM)Tom Loveric Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe also show a little snipplet of the message, say x characters, along with the rest of the information. Half of the PMs I get just have a stupid subject anyways, so using the subject to guess the content isn't the easiest thing to do.

Exactly. I'd atleast like this for certain usergroups.
(2009-04-17, 10:01 PM)CraKteR Wrote: [ -> ]Do it like Gmail does it. Oh I like it that way! Smile

MyNetwork might be a bit more popular then I expected... Shy
(2009-04-17, 10:07 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-04-17, 10:01 PM)CraKteR Wrote: [ -> ]Do it like Gmail does it. Oh I like it that way! Smile

MyNetwork might be a bit more popular then I expected... Shy
Heh, I love the shameless promotion, TommToungue Just kiddingSmile
(2009-04-17, 10:04 PM)Tom Loveric Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-04-17, 10:02 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]

Exactly. I'd atleast like this for certain usergroups.

This makes no sense having only on certain usergroups though. Why would you have it only on certain usergroups?
Pages: 1 2 3 4