MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Oracle to buy Sun for 7.5 billion!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Read this http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/20/technolo...2009042008

There is a lot of people saying (from other forums i goto) saying that mysql mite die. and other bits of software made by sun.
As I said before, MySQL won't die. The community version is released under the GPL license. Even if Oracle decide to stop supporting the project, many unofficial forks will take place instead. However, if you want my opinion, Oracle want to buy Sun for the technology and instead, utilize MySQL for their Database Engine to enhance their software.
I hope they don't. i am afraid that Solaris and Virtual box may be on the cutting board.
I hope they don't buy them. What would happen to MySQL!
(2009-04-21, 11:37 PM)Chasingu Wrote: [ -> ]What would happen to MySQL!

They might decide to continue it and furthermore provide more funding so it's database technology can advance and then also share these developments to improve oracle.
What if MySql become closed source? that would be my first move if i were Oracle!
(2009-04-22, 11:28 AM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]What if MySql become closed source? that would be my first move if i were Oracle!

(2009-04-21, 11:24 PM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]As I said before, MySQL won't die. The community version is released under the GPL license. Even if Oracle decide to stop supporting the project, many unofficial forks will take place instead. However, if you want my opinion, Oracle want to buy Sun for the technology and instead, utilize MySQL for their Database Engine to enhance their software.
If MySQL was stopped so many sites would be broken it'd be ridiculous so it wouldn't happen.
(2009-04-22, 11:28 AM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]What if MySql become closed source? that would be my first move if i were Oracle!

if you were running oracle they'd be bankrupt then

the backlash from closing mysql simply would not be worth it
They can't close the community MySQL, due to the way the GPL works. The commercial MySQL, maybe, but any derivative works of the community MySQL, including future versions, must (from what I understand) be under the GPL also, and therefore also open source.
Pages: 1 2 3