MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Release 1.4.x] Anti IE BBCode
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2009-06-04, 02:53 AM)ghazal Wrote: [ -> ]To force users to download alternate browsers...

You should never "force" visitors to use an alternative browser. It is a person's own decision (whether they can make it or not) to use a different browser. What if I like IE? What about the 80%+ of businesses in the UK that only allow IE to be used? I'm seriously not going to switch from using a browser just to use your website - one of billions (trillions?) of websites I could visit. If you really didn't want IE visitors, why not just block them from your site altogether?

Put it this way - I see Firefox as utter crap. What if you wanted to download one of my plugins, and you got an error message - "Sorry. You will need Opera to download this". Will you download Opera?

That MyCode is codswallop, really.
(2009-06-04, 08:01 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]That MyCode is codswallop, really.

Not really Tomm M,
One thing I missed that it just hide the content of post, not hide the forum altogether,
That hinderence will actually force the users to download other browsers for viewing it,
Its a really good MYCode for those who really likes their customers to use FF or any other browser instead of IE for Better Viewing of Forum Posts...
(2009-06-04, 11:34 AM)ghazal Wrote: [ -> ]That hinderence will actually force the users to download other browsers for viewing it,

Rest assured, I'm pretty sure that it won't force users to download other browsers to view the content of a post - they just wouldn't visit the website. The only advantage to this MyCode is if you need to provide different instructions to different browsers.

(2009-06-04, 11:34 AM)ghazal Wrote: [ -> ]Its a really good MYCode for those who really likes their customers to use FF or any other browser instead of IE for Better Viewing of Forum Posts...

Seriously, are you kidding? If an administrator wanted their customers to use FF over IE, then they would block access to the entire site for IE. You need to remember that forum posts are literally plain text, so they appear the same whatever browser you use. You wouldn't get a "better viewing of forum posts" in any browser.

A better thing for you to do Ghazal would be to develop a plugin that limits what browsers can visit.
What I said, that it just hinder the posts within which this MyCode is used, Not the entire forum
Secondly, yes plugin may have some settings or you may call it a function that limits the certain area's of your forum to NOT acess by IE
I am with everyone else on this, while your intention is admirable you will do nothing but drive users away from your forum. On my other site I advise members to use another browser but do not force them to do so. Doing so would be suicide for the site....
well, that is her plugin all about Smile

I won't criticize her because she is trying to make plugins on her own ideas.
(2009-06-04, 01:13 PM)AussieSB Wrote: [ -> ]I am with everyone else on this, while your intention is admirable you will do nothing but drive users away from your forum. On my other site I advise members to use another browser but do not force them to do so. Doing so would be suicide for the site....

Well, I have to say that its a released MyCode, If any one interested, then simply use it, otherwise please ignore it
Thanks
(2009-06-03, 07:17 PM)skywalker2208 Wrote: [ -> ]As well as a number of people that use the internet at work and are forced to only use IE.

Lol, we are forced to use firefox. Toungue It's more secure.
ha ha ha
You will be forced to use firefox within tthose posts on which this MyCode uses
The idea is new and i like the idea only , its a new thing in particularly mycode area.
Pages: 1 2 3