MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Text editor that can handle large files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm looking for a basic text editor program that can handle large files. I'm talking files between 10GB and 40GB of plain text (.sql files). I need to be able to open and work with these files, and everything that I have simply does not stand up to the job.

I'm running on a mac, but I also have windows machines available albeit not as powerful as my mac, so open to suggestions for either platform. I also can boot into linux, so linux programs are also acceptable - I just dont boot into linux very often so I find it a bit clumsy simply because I'm not used to it.
Have you tried Notepad++? You probably have but if you havn't already then it might be worth a shot?
Response A: WOAH NELLEH

Response B: You're editing files that big? BY HAND?!

Response C: No, no ideas as to what program.
(2009-06-06, 02:47 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]Response B: You're editing files that big? BY HAND?!
I would say he plans to use the text editors tools (like find and replace) to reformat the text into a more usable form. My guess at least.
A web browser can actually load an SQL file pretty well.
I would suggest crimson editor, just Google it Toungue
(2009-06-06, 03:24 AM)-Prowler- Wrote: [ -> ]I would suggest crimson editor, just Google it Toungue

Go to bed Toungue

I would suggest Notepad++ Its awesome for php so i guess it would work. Have you tried normal Notepad?
Normal Notepad sucks for 4 MB files, let alone 10-40 GB files. Wordpad (also included in Windows) works rather nicely for 4MB files, but I've never had to edit anything much larger so I don't know how it will fare on a 10 GB file.
Notepad++ / web browsers etc will load the entire file into memory (in fact, Notepad++ is worse since it'll try to apply syntax highlighting over the entire file).

You really do have to consider why you need to edit such a large file though.

Most of the large files I edit are binary, so many hex editors can cope with them. UltraEdit32 has a text mode, and since it can handle large files, it might work for you, but then, UltraEdit32 isn't free (give the trial a go I guess).
1.try to split that file in little pieces with hjsplit > http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/
2. open two or more files with notepad++ - there is a function to "search all open files"

think will be easier this way
Pages: 1 2