MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [F] Converting from PunBB 1.2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I'm trying to convert from PunBB 1.2 and I would like to know which option I am supposed to select as "Table Encoding" knowing that my DB appears as "latin1_swedish_ci" ?

I have tried UTF8 and various other options but I have always problems with special caracters (my board is in french).

I tried to run some tool I found on the Internet to convert my DB to UTF8 but it seems to break the post import process.

I also tried to upgrade the DB to PunBB 1.3 because it is supposed to convert it to UTF8 but I have the same problem during the import of posts.

Any idea?

Thanks

EDIT: The PunBB 1.3 upgrade process seems to mention ISO8859-1 as table format for the legacy board but I can't find it in the list of the merge system
how does it break the post import process (when converting to UTF8)? If they are both in the same format then the MyBB Merge System will not attempt to convert the data at all.
it stops in the process of importing the posts.

To be honest I'd feel more comfortable if MyBB was taking on the process of conversion to UTF8.
(2009-06-16, 07:33 PM)fmo Wrote: [ -> ]it stops in the process of importing the posts.

The MyBB Merge System does? Does it consistently stop somewhere?

(2009-06-16, 07:33 PM)fmo Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest I'd feel more comfortable if MyBB was taking on the process of conversion to UTF8.

MyBB is no better then any other decent software at converting encodings.
When I converted the DB to UT8 using the PunBB upgrade to 1.3 it was stopping systematically at post 6606.

The processes of conversion I tried to switch my existing DB to UTF8 feel a bit like a cheap hack that's why I'd prefer the mergesystem to do it.

Any idea of which encoding in the mergesystem correspond to the mysql encoding "latin1_swedish_ci"?
(2009-06-16, 08:16 PM)fmo Wrote: [ -> ]When I converted the DB to UT8 using the PunBB upgrade to 1.3 it was stopping systematically at post 6606.

The processes of conversion I tried to switch my existing DB to UTF8 feel a bit like a cheap hack that's why I'd prefer the mergesystem to do it.

Why don't you just try changing the table encoding to utf-8 - The data won't actually be in UTF8 but the MyBB Merge System won't know that and it'll just transfer the data plainly without converting it.

Ryan
I'll give that a try but I doubt that it will work, I try to import my existing DB selection UTF8 as source in the mergesystem and the caracters with accents were all gibberish
Hi,

I have converted all my tables to UTF8 and I have the same problem as when I migrated the DB to PunBB 1.3 i.e it fails on post 6006.

Even with the forum half converted I managed to login and check some posts, they were showing with some incorrect caracters so back to square one Sad
Your using the latest merge system?
(2009-06-19, 12:50 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]Your using the latest merge system?

Yes, beta5 downloaded on the day of my first post
Pages: 1 2