MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How did you hear about mybb and what is your experience with it so far?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I came across mybb sometime last year and I checked it out quickly and I liked a lot what I saw. Then I got busy with some other stuff in the RL and got more involved with another forum software and I kinda forgot about mybb.

Several weeks ago I was contacted by someone who wanted to convert from a x forum to mybb and asked me if I could convert her forum along with some small mods that I had written for that software forum that she was using. I did so on both accounts and after taking a deeper look at mybb's code I was very surprised at how easy it is to understand it and code. Later on if I get more free time I plan to write some bigger plugins for mybb.

Anyway, I am so impressed by mybb that I am seriously considering converting my forum from ipb to mybb. That is if my other 2 co-admins agree to it. But the next forum I start, it will be for sure with mybb.

Regarding the mybb community here, I liked it too. The only thing I noticed, is that some experienced members here don''t have a tactful way with new members and coders. Instead to encourage them, they do the opposite way with their not so well thoughts remarks. Personally, I don''t care, but it might chase away future potential contributers.

How about you guys? When did you start to use mybb for the first time and what is your experience with it so far?
A user known as TwistedWeather told me about MyBB during my SMF days... I was so fed up with SMF, I could beat my PC up :s Then I found MyBB and now I am happy Big Grin
I was part of a portuguese community which was running MyBB 1.2. Then I thought of creating a forum, I did, but in CreateMyBB. Then because I couldn't manage my forum properly I wanted to learn how to host and manage MyBB, etc. And here I am, currently learning PHP (still the VERY basic stuff though).

And I'm very happy with MyBB, I just love it. "It's simplicity is its true beauty" - by ghazal.
I won't lie we do have a very blunt community for the most part Toungue. But, honestly i think it's a good thing. If people aren't willing to take advice or look for things them selves they aren't ready to run a site. That's just my personal belief though.

Also welcome and glad another follower of MyBB has come.
Eh some people just think they are too cool on here, its better to ignore ignorance than play in it :p
I found MyBB through OpenSourceCMS when I was eagerly looking for an alternative of PHPBB (2 was out at the time). I was pretty much fed up with performing code modifications since they didn't have any other way of doing things, so MyBB had the features, the extensibility, functionality, and the design, hence I jumped on it. This was back in 06, but I later registered here.
(2009-06-19, 07:28 PM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]I won't lie we do have a very blunt community for the most part Toungue. But, honestly i think it's a good thing. If people aren't willing to take advice or look for things them selves they aren't ready to run a site. That's just my personal belief though.

Also welcome and glad another follower of MyBB has come.

Thanks for the welcome. Glad to be here.
Regarding that bluntness thing, there is nothing wrong to be blunted, hell, I am blunted myself, but what I meant is that it doesn''t look too good when someone senior here says to someone who just released his first plugin, like that is a stupid plugin or things of that nature. I mean, chritisism should be made in a healthy constructive way and not like that. Anyway, that is how I see it.

(2009-06-19, 08:22 PM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]I found MyBB through OpenSourceCMS when I was eagerly looking for an alternative of PHPBB (2 was out at the time). I was pretty much fed up with performing code modifications since they didn't have any other way of doing things, so MyBB had the features, the extensibility, functionality, and the design, hence I jumped on it. This was back in 06, but I later registered here.

I hear you on phpbb. I tried it too in the begin but after a couple of months I had enough of it as well. Haven''t used it again since.

(2009-06-19, 07:45 PM)Shawn Gossman Wrote: [ -> ]Eh some people just think they are too cool on here, its better to ignore ignorance than play in it :p

You are right about that. Ignoring in such cases says more than a thousand words.
Well I am not completely MyBB as I still have an owned license to vBulletin but I do plan to use MyBB for a future endeavor I'm embarking on. But overall I got interested in MyBB by Tomster and Shawn Grossman as I have heard them both talk about it. I always see threads on TAZ regarding MyBB which spiked my curiosity regarding addons and styles for it.
I was on a forum that used MyBB 1.2 for a while, thought it was cool, I started using it and here I am.
I first heard about MyBB when I was on one of Labrocca's sites and I saw the MyBB copyright. I downloaded it, installed it and it was the best software I have ever used.
Pages: 1 2