MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Will they buy just to protect their brand?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi there,i suddenly thinking about this thing.Example one kid buy domain name like this www.applex.com, would big company like Apple Computer who have www.apple.com buy this domain name from this kid?

Is they any history told us that big company will buy it?

thanks!
It's a possibility, but if you're the one who wants to buy the domain, they cannot in any way make you sell the domain, so there's nothing to worry about.
but i think this is the way how we can get fast money from big company,something that can disturb their brand

so how much will you want if Apple want to buy that Applex?(if youre that kid?)
(2009-06-22, 11:31 AM)NoLuckyWins Wrote: [ -> ]It's a possibility, but if you're the one who wants to buy the domain, they cannot in any way make you sell the domain, so there's nothing to worry about.

Yes they can, if they own the trademark for that domain they can claim legal rights to it. I am not sure though that applex is close enough to the Apple trademark though to claim rights.

To tell you the truth, there is no way apple would buy applex, it is nothing close to apple.com and would be of no use to them. How many people misspell apple as applex? I would say no one?
They don't own aple.com or appel.com which is more likely misspelling.
That type of thinking is what gives domainers a bad name, msyahrizan.
I know of a man by the name of Mike Rowe, bought the domain Microwsoft for his blog, and was sued in a battle with...you guessed it...MICROSOFT.
Actually it wasn't even close.
I think Microsoft took this one too crazy.
It was MikeRoweSoft.com:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_vs_MikeRoweSoft
A new law came to place in the United States that if a domain seems close or a typo of your trademarked name, they can legally take it away from you. It's just up to them if they feel that it is necessary to take it from the domain holder.
It's against the law what you're proposing. It's called cybersquatting. In the US it's a 100k penalty.

Quote:A new law came to place in the United States that if a domain seems close or a typo of your trademarked name, they can legally take it away from you. It's just up to them if they feel that it is necessary to take it from the domain holder.

Intellectual property law isn't only in the USA. Most modern civilized nations have them to protect intellectual property. Also anyone can file a UDRP with WIPO to have a domain change hands. If you went to Apple to sell them AppleX that's constituted as "bad faith" and if Apple wanted they could file a UDRP and probably win the domain.

What OP is proposing is intellectual kidnapping.
Pages: 1 2 3