MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Release] IE6 No More!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
In the banner you forgot the link to IE8.
I took it out because I don't think it's a browser you should recommend. If you want, I will post a code so it's back in.
I think in addition to IE6 Must IE7 & IE8 Also be added. (stop IE)
Chronologically IE7 is outdated compared to IE8, so there is no need to link IE7 in there.
No I think he means as in a 'Stop IE7' mod.

While I do not like IE7, it's not THAT far behind. And anyways, the main issue with the web is IE6 because that's what most companies built their infrastructure upon and non-Internet savvy users got with Windows 2000.

I've noticed that people who use IE7 tend to be a little more aware and most of my friends that have IE7 (not-Internet savvy at all) have downloaded FireFox or upgraded to IE8. It seems that IE6 is the magical browser though.
I'm really sorry Zash, but I have a suggestion to make. Toungue

To make it easier for people to translate, change the beginning of your function to this:

function ie6nomore($page)
{
	global $lang;
	if(!isset($lang->outdated_warning_title))
	{
		$lang->outdated_warning_title = "You are using an outdated browser!";
	}
	if(!isset($lang->outdated_warning_text))
	{
		$lang->outdated_warning_text = "The browser you are using is 8 years old! It is very insecure, doesn't comply with web standards, and gives the owners of websites like this one a big headache. Please download one of the browsers on the right. The Internet will thank you!";
	}

Then in the str_replace, change the language strings:

<div style='font-size: 14px; font-weight: bold; margin-top: 6px;'>".$lang->outdated_warning_title."</div>

<div style='font-size: 12px; margin-top: 6px;margin-right:10px; line-height: 1.3em;'>".$lang->outdated_warning_text."</div>

Then, all people need to do is to add $lang->outdated_warning_title and $lang->outdated_warning_text to the global.lang.php file, put whatever text they want and they have it translated.

Simples. Toungue
Oh cool, I learned something new Smile However, I would like to allow these changes using the Settings instead.

Anybody else is free to implement it, I'm not going to edit the plugin file for now (I'm going on vacation tomorrow anyways).
This is a very nice plugin. It's not obtrusive like some 'Stop IE6' codes and it gives recommendations for other browsers (kind of reminds me of what Microsoft is doing for Win7E to settle down the EU).

I agree with scylla for putting in IE8 in the banner. Since IE6 users aren't that tech-savvy, they probably don't think there are any other browsers out there. And if you give them a list of options to browsers they don't know, it could confuse them and make them want to stick to IE6 more. But, if you give them a recommendation for a browser they know and love and advertise it as even better, they will be more likely to change.
Only problem I see is that they will get stuck with IE8 and we'll have the 'IE8 No More' crisis in 10 years.
(2009-08-13, 04:01 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]Simples. Toungue

[Image: l55085907066_3775.jpg]

I think this is pretty good too, might get some people to upgrade Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3 4