MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SEO thread urls ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi, I wonder why mybb still does not have this feature:

* replace standard id based URLs (e.g. showthread.php?tid=12345)
with name based URLs (e.g. Thread-some-subject)

Wordpress as an example has this neat feature with permalinks (you can choose how to display urls), I don't understand why this is not included in mybb script and we all have to use plugins for that
Umm they do? Search Google SEO.
It is a plugin.
I said:
"I don't understand why this is not included in mybb script and we all have to use plugins for that"

For example with WP its a standart feature, you just find permalinks in your dashboard and choose whatever you prefer. Painless and easy.

And here you have painfull and long plugin instalation, file editing, htacess line adding and so on.

Why can't it be as easy as in WP?
Because WP is built so anyone could use it. Mybb isn't. Mybb was coded well, to people with knowledge. WP pretty much anyone can find there way around with a little knowledge.
so you are saying that mybb on purpose don't want to make life easier for its users ?
They propbably did it, because you need to do many edits, .htaccess, and that was one big plugins.
I agree the 1.4x implementation of SEO urls isn't the most desirable.
I think we need to remember that MyBB was first made when SEO wasn't as big as it is in today's world - that's why some people think it's just 'standard' or even inferior.

I'm sure MyBB 2.0 will feature something like this...
Not true Tomm. The 1.4x branch was the first to include the SEO friendly urls. That's fairly recent. Mybb made the decision to shortcut them imho and do it the easy way. I myself was fairly disappointed at their approach.
(2009-08-19, 09:14 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Mybb made the decision to shortcut them imho and do it the easy way.

And where did we state that we went the "shortcut" route? Perhaps because we didn't go the "shortcut" route. In fact, we simply didn't go "all-out" because #1) We weren't aiming for SEO-Crazy and because #2) changing up ALL of the URLs needed would be something for a release like 2.0.
Pages: 1 2 3 4