MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Removing a Theme IMGDIR restriction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Doesn't have to be an option T0m. It would be more of an issue that way. It just needs to remove the restriction preventing an external imagedir source. It's simple changes really. I am sure it would take about 5-10 minutes at most. But I can see this not happening. Lots of my suggestions for changes get shot down. I am getting used to being disappointed.
Hmm.

Lets take a look at mybb on TBB,

381,750 2,832,703
63,573 1,217,958
29,121 4,501,924

The three biggest communities.

I am sure soom many of these are going to get bigger. What happens when these plus all the other high traffic, sites get too large? You can't expect people do do core edits all the time? It may not be a simple edit for a change, but if there is a need, it should be accodated to.

The way i look at it, if its an option, no themes break, and only people who know what they are doing will mess with it (Proof my acp has dust on it).

This could be something that stops other big boards from converting!

I think this is something that should be changed aswell.
Quote:The way i look at it, if its an option, no themes break, and only people who know what they are doing will mess with it (Proof my acp has dust on it).

This change should not even effect any existing forums. Unless a theme author used {$mybb->settings['bburl']}/{$theme['imgdir']}/example.gif for an image url. I gotta think that's going to be very rare and anyone doing that isn't too bright. It's a waste of space.
Thinking about it, if the check were removed, how does that affect current themes at all? The themes themselves would still point to the same directory they do now, so that won't be broken. If a user moves the theme images off-server they'll most likely know what the problem is if the theme breaks, and can usually fix it themselves. There's nothing stopping the developers from stating in the patch notes something along the lines of 'Theme authors may need to remove "{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/" from "{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/{$theme['imgdir']}" as this update will break that.' It's a new release. It should be expected that theme/plugin developers test their creations against a patch to make sure that they still work properly.
yes it might affect the theme's images.. i guess the best would be is making a plugin that will give access for external image server to your current forum server.. Smile just a suggestion..
(2009-09-03, 04:25 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Unless a theme author used {$mybb->settings['bburl']}/{$theme['imgdir']}/example.gif for an image url.

Yeah, there's a possible side-effect issue already.

You have to understand that I am critical because this job isn't played with monopoly money or rubber mallets. Changes to files that affect any of MyBB's underlying core is a bit similar to applying to the Secret Service. The changes or additions have to be completely vetted before I gain any confidence in them. We've seen the effect that changes like these have had several times in the past, affecting the stability of forums.

However, that is not to say that I do not read every suggestion that gets posted in this community and consider each one independently and seriously. Simply because I don't "Jump the gun" and critique suggestions, does not mean that it is rejected.
You want I can scan a few popular theme xml's including Justins to see if this would be an issue. I just checked Afresh...it will have no effect at all on it. He doesn't use bburl for img src.

In default mybb only 2 templates have this in it. portal_announcement and header...both can be changed without detriment. There should be no need to have bburl for an image src path. It's actually a bad practice as dynamic paths should be used whenever possible.

The smilies change imho should be done just because it's bad form to use the bburl there and it's totally unneccessary. That's at least something that should change from this that will have no effect on existing sites or themes.

Keep in mind even if you make the code changes I suggest you do not have to make the template changes. Anyone wanting to use a URL for the theme imgdir would just make the changes manually. It's imho a simple compromise. Later versions 1.6x maybe you can adjust the template to remove any instances of bburl for images.

Quote: Simply because I don't "Jump the gun" and critique suggestions, does not mean that it is rejected.

Doesn't mean it's accepted either. IMHO if a suggestion doesn't get considered and added to project list within a week it's probably going to be ignored. At least that's my experience here after 3 1/2 years. I say a week because that's usually how long I can go on arguing before I smash my keyboard. lol

I know your admin at NCAABBS...ask the owner there what he thinks about my changes. I would be curious to hear opinions of large site owners about this.

Also Ryan...another possible change is making the if statement include a check for http:// and then ignore the isdir() part. Really it's the isdir() that's the issue here and only when an http:// is in the theme imgdir. So there are options imho...all are easy to implement and won't have any great impact on existing users or themes.
(2009-09-03, 06:52 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Also Ryan...another possible change is making the if statement include a check for http:// and then ignore the isdir() part. Really it's the isdir() that's the issue here and only when an http:// is in the theme imgdir. So there are options imho...all are easy to implement and won't have any great impact on existing users or themes.

That would be smart, instead of removing the check completely just add another case to the check. This would make it so that only themes that use this would affected by it. It would help maintain "backwards compatibility" because once the external URL check resolves to false it can just run the path through the current check and then everyone's happy. Making the necessary template changes shouldn't break any themes unless something were poorly coded anyway, and by weeding out things like that you help to improve the overall quality of MyBB and related software/data.
(2009-09-03, 06:52 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]IMHO if a suggestion doesn't get considered and added to project list within a week it's probably going to be ignored.

You're wrong.
His wrong what?

Grammar aside, would you care to elaborate why he's wrong? Simply saying "You're wrong" seems kind of rude and unprofessional IMO.
Pages: 1 2 3