MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I wish to start to learn how to program
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
which language should i start with?

My friends recommend either ruby or python.. In the end I want to be able to code in php though for web development.. Smile

Anyways, what are your recommendations?
If you want to be able to code in PHP, start by learning PHP... if that's your main goal, no point in focusing on something else.
php,...........
Well as much as possible I want to be flexible though..
I suggest PHP. It's not too hard, and it's similar to other languages in case you want to try picking up one of those. It's also nice because 99% of the time you can get instant results which is good if you're like me and need to actually see progress.
I'm in the same boat as you Kja. I am a business major but I have been dabbling in PHP for a couple of years. Website development seems to be a hobby for me. I think the best place to start would be either PHP/MySQL or go the Microsoft route.

Kja, are you looking to do this for personal satisfaction or for a career?
PHP is a lot easier than those languages.
PHP is a very simple and easy to learn, as it uses simple statements such as "if", "else", "for", "while", and so on. In truth, you do actually have to write more with PHP than if you used Ruby on Rails, but Ruby is not something you can learn in a month or so. I was able to get down the basics of PHP within 2 months. Before 6 months hit, I was already working on my first full application, a CMS. The site that uses it has been using it for nearly a year, and we haven't had a single security issue.
(2009-10-06, 07:39 PM)DonCoryon Wrote: [ -> ]I'm in the same boat as you Kja. I am a business major but I have been dabbling in PHP for a couple of years. Website development seems to be a hobby for me. I think the best place to start would be either PHP/MySQL or go the Microsoft route.

Kja, are you looking to do this for personal satisfaction or for a career?

I'm learning this for personal satisfaction at the moment.. Since making websites has been a hobby of mine for a few years now.. Smile Maybe make it a career opportunity once I am capable of it? Probably..

I'd like to dive right into Php though my friends don't really recommend it. Python is easier to grasp as a complete newbie and once I am through with python getting into php will be faster, easier and less frustrating as they told me..
Simply put, their wrong. Not opinion, fact. PHP is great, it's not as strict as most languages. Also, Python is very sophisticated in its structure.
Ruby is a fun language, great for building web apps.
Pages: 1 2 3 4