MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: vB has doomed their own brand
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The people running Internet Brands the owners of vBulletin have shot themselves in the foot, customers are looking at open source options like phpBB and MyBB because of a hefty price increase.

I was one of the people leading the mutiny on the official forum and they started deleting threads, banning members due to 90% of the customers being pissed off.

If you want the real story on vBulletin defrauding their software customers read this thread.
It all comes down to whether or not you want to use the product. If you do, you will buy it; if not, you won't.

It's kind of typical that a company would increase their rates when they add new features... if it's actually worth it, people will upgrade.
This should be merged with the other VB topic.
(2009-10-16, 12:27 AM)AVC Wrote: [ -> ]The people running Internet Brands the owners of vBulletin have shot themselves in the foot, customers are looking at open source options like phpBB and MyBB because of a hefty price increase.

I was one of the people leading the mutiny on the official forum and they started deleting threads, banning members due to 90% of the customers being pissed off.

If you want the real story on vBulletin defrauding their software customers read this thread.

I think like every company out to make profits, its a logical step that vB has taken. Did you seriously expect it to just stick to forum software without expanding? It is unfair to some customers who use vB for non-profit or small businesses with little or no revenue from their forums and those will be the people who'll turn to open source options but thats not who vB is targetting with their software suite, they're targetting bigger fish who can shell out the big bucks without giving a care about the price and to them the more rounded up features they can show for it, the better.

Class action lawsuits? I think not! They're a business and as long as they're not forcing you to upgrade and not trying to keep you from moving away from their business, they are well within their legal rights.

As much as I sympathize with all these disgruntled users, I also feel that they should have seen the light earlier on...we all did and moved to MyBB Wink
In my case I would have to pay 600 bucks to update 3 forums, but I will not pay, I will use the versions I have for years legally.
That's your choice then. I don't see why people are making such a big deal about it, really. New companies will almost always want to change at least one thing.
Quote:Class action lawsuits? I think not! They're a business and as long as they're not forcing you to upgrade and not trying to keep you from moving away from their business, they are well within their legal rights.

I know...when I read that I practically fell of my chair laughing. Ludicrous.

Reading some posts at VB I can see how some recent license buyers are pissed off. In a year they will have to pay a very hefty upgrade fee. Their $235 license preorder is tempting to me. I almost want to order one to have just in case.
You guys know nothing about the legal implications of what is going on here, so the laugh is on you guys who are ignorant of the law and how the legal system actually works.
(2009-10-16, 03:49 AM)AVC Wrote: [ -> ]You guys know nothing about the legal implications of what is going on here, so the laugh is on you guys who are ignorant of the law and how the legal system actually works.

Haha...that's amusing. I guess the lawyers of VB Solutions are stupid too. What? You don't think they're legal team signed off on the license and price changes first? Don't be ignorant of reality.

I know very well how the legal system works. Maybe you care to explain on what grounds a Civil Action would be brought.
Pages: 1 2 3