MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Swine Flu Vax.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2009-10-26, 07:36 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Pfft, swine flu. Over hyped if you ask me. Pretty much everyone who's died of it here was either very old or very ill anyway, and many more people die of other diseases each year.

13 year old [healthy] kid just died from the swine flu in my city, my mother told me.
This was the first year I got the seasonal flu shot. Normally I ride it out, but I'm at a new job with no paid time off (not even paid sick leave) for 6 months, so I can't afford to get sick this season. I will also get the H1N1 shot once it's available to the general public. It's currently reserved for kids, people who work with kids, and people in the medical field.

You only get each strain ONCE. Once your body recognizes the protein keys, it makes antibodies to kill the virus on sight. Each year a different flu strain is more common, necessitating a new flu shot.
(2009-10-27, 11:51 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-10-26, 07:36 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Pfft, swine flu. Over hyped if you ask me. Pretty much everyone who's died of it here was either very old or very ill anyway, and many more people die of other diseases each year.

13 year old [healthy] kid just died from the swine flu in my city, my mother told me.

Yeah, healthy people have died of it here too, but a lot more people die of other diseases every year that people aren't nearly as worried about. MRSA, that's bad, common here, but there isn't a fuss made over it like with swine flu and that kills many more people each year.
(2009-10-28, 08:16 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, healthy people have died of it here too

If I believe what I read in the papers (as in Guardian, not the Mail or Sun Toungue), it's more to do with these being misdiagnosed and the "normal" course of treatment for H1N1 starting way too late to have any effect. It then leads to pneumonia, and other nasty things, that can kill you easier than the flu can.
Short decryption of public information overflood:
---

Flu = Annoying for healthy adults, more dangerous for people with a weakened immune system. Lots of people are chronically ill, take asthma for example: widely spread. these people could suffer REALLY bad from a flu, especially from the swine flu, because this flu can cause some specific lung problems.

Vaccines = Against the seasonal flu, there are high quality vaccines available, with very little risks of severe side effects.
Against the swine flu, mostly inferior vaccines will be available to the wide public: little amount of active agent, large amount of adjuvants/amplifiers. Unfortunately, these adjuvants can amplify the unwanted side effects as well: a potential high risk.

The big "danger" is that an aggressive form of swine flu could appear. The probability of such a mutation rises the more the flu spreads and it also rises when it could be mixed with a seasonal flu infection.
The bad thing about this: There's a high(!) probability that no current flu shots will work against a mutated form of the flu.

===

If you can afford it (healthwise) : don't get a flu shot. If you should really catch the flu, go see a doctor early and you'll be ill for a few days, then it's over. Take it like a man.

If you can't afford to get it: wait until a good vaccine against swine flu becomes available. Then go and get your shot.

Everything else is in the stars at the moment...
I myself don't get the flu shoot anymore. Last time I got one, I got really sick from it(the flu, lol). So I'm good. Big Grin
Well if you have had an Anapalectic attack (Sorry i don't know how to spell that..) Be wary. Two people had one when i was at work. It was kinda scary. Those nurses said they worked for 15 years at flu shot clinics, that was the first reaction they got. Also they are very bad at computers, but its amazing how much they get done without help.

TM0
By the way, it's no called swine flu anymore Wink
Well, thats if you want to be correct. I personally don't give a flying hoot. So...
I've never had flue vaccines, not going to start now. I have never caught the flew, even though I've had pretty good exposure to it. Not really too worried about H1N1. I think, like most, that it is mostly hype.
Pages: 1 2 3 4