MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My Custom CMS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have no further suggestions. Its good. Toungue
Not bad. I can't see it becoming something useful down the road. I like it. Smile
(2009-11-06, 04:37 AM)Zomaian Wrote: [ -> ]So far it looks good I like the theme editing but as people said before its missing a lot of functions so good luck Wink.

Might I ask what features you would like to see added?

I know it's somewhat lacking when it comes to multi-user functionality, and I'll fix that once I've come up with a good permissions system.

A WYSIWYG (or any JS editor) is a bit of a pain to add since not only would I have to integrate it but also add the option to turn it off if the user wants, but I will do it if people want it enough.

Personally, I like the very low level control over the website's coding. It helps give me the opportunity to possibly use neat tricks a WYSIWYG editor might not support, as well as keeping stupid things like empty <div>s and similar out.
The options to add blocks and widgets like WordPress for example?
Being unfamiliar with WordPress, would that be anything like the sections and page boxes in my CMS?

In the Sandbox I went ahead and added another section as a demo. Excuse the terrible yellow since it was just to show each section can have it's own box style.
For example with WordPress you can add modules (boxes) in the sitebar with your own HTML code in it for example. But WordPress comes with some boxes that you can add such as RSS importer, Calendar, Latest posts, etc.
Oh, I see. Those kinds of things could probably be added with plugins. However, I'm also trying to keep the CMS from becoming blog software or merely an extension to MyBB, so I won't be writing those plugins myself. Once I release the software for the public someone might write these plugins.

Generally, if it's useful to me it'll be a core feature, otherwise it'll either be a plugin from someone else or be added later. Hopefully this will help it be smaller and more focused, but not restrictive due to the plugin system.
It looks a lot like MyBB already, and it only has two boxes.

Go with a unique design, preferably something Web 2.0-ish, get some good core functionality and you might have something here. Smile

It's a great start.

If you need some good Web 2.0 icons, go here: http://templatesforall.com/7-attractive-...our-sites/
I wanted a very simple default theme (it is supposed to be replaced, after all) and the MyBB one (with a couple of tweaks) fit the bill. My actual site's theme will be better, more like a fancier version of the current admin CP theme.

People keep saying "add more functionality" without explaining what they want. It already has everything I want, so I'm at a complete loss for ideas. Zomaian was the only one that really offered anything specific, and those were all things that should probably be better for plugins.

Edit: Theme CSS can now properly reference absolute URLs (http://www.example.com/images/blah instead of just images/blah), useful for storing images on external sites or just different subdomains.
Now that I think about it, it's not lacking that many features..

Though I would suggest adding:

- Tags to each page (search engine purposes)
- Some sort of simple SEO, maybe to rewrite the URLs as /Page-{pagename} ?
- Custom 404 pages
- Fix what happens when you enter an invalid page (could display above message)
- Perhaps by default put the links up top like MyBB's? I've always preferred toplinks over sideboxes tbh.

Of course I have no idea how much extra code that will add Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3