MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Spam! It's driving me mad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
A lot of users are signing in everyday at Console World, with signatures like:
[url=http://www.r4ikarte.de/]r4i[/url]
Without code tags obviously.
Others with:
acai berry
And others with random words in their signatures.
You can notice they're bots or at least someone who's trying to spam, by reading their posts. Although they make sense, they're completely useless!

I don't know if they're bots or not, that's the problem. I might add an extra registration check, if they're normal users, they will feel in the correct data, otherwise they won't get past the registration process.
This is driving me mad, seriously!

Are you experiencing the same problem?

An interesting is, they're all coming from Australia, I might end up blocking Australia if this doesn't stop soon (even with the registration extra check) but they advertise a Deutsch website!?
Ever thought about disabling signatures for new members? On all of my forums I require all users to have 3 posts and be registered for 24 hours before getting promoted to a "full member" who can PM, use signatures, etc...
KuJoe... I am still new to the myBB software and managing a forum.

How and where do I Set the number of posts to become full member?

Thanks in advance,
(2009-11-17, 03:08 PM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Ever thought about disabling signatures for new members? On all of my forums I require all users to have 3 posts and be registered for 24 hours before getting promoted to a "full member" who can PM, use signatures, etc...

That won't stop them from registering Sad Plus, allowing them to change their sigs is good because that way i can detect spammers immediatly
(2009-11-17, 03:18 PM)joey4420 Wrote: [ -> ]KuJoe... I am still new to the myBB software and managing a forum.

How and where do I Set the number of posts to become full member?

Thanks in advance,
You can setup promotions in the Admin CP under Users and Groups.

(2009-11-17, 03:19 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-11-17, 03:08 PM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Ever thought about disabling signatures for new members? On all of my forums I require all users to have 3 posts and be registered for 24 hours before getting promoted to a "full member" who can PM, use signatures, etc...

That won't stop them from registering Sad Plus, allowing them to change their sigs is good because that way i can detect spammers immediatly
You can't stop spammers from registering, but if they can't create signatures then the chances of them spamming drop drastically. When I ran Host2x we had at least 25-50 spam bots sign-up daily and activate their accounts. Since February I only had 1 case of spam and it wasn't even a bot.

People use spam bots to make money, if they cannot post an advertisement link they will not make money thus they have no reason to post on your forum. I also think that the bot script errors out when it encounters the "unable to use signatures" error in the User CP since I've seen a lot of bots on the Who's Online listing freeze on that page after sign-up.
They are not spambots they are real people or they need some really good software program that programmed to register on MyBB, make a signature on MyBB, and post on MyBB which is already impossible.

I am not sure if a bot can pass the captcha probably. Try added another custom field ask "what is the opposite of hot" or something like that. If you still get spammers to register than they are real people and all you can do is block their IP.
@KuJoe, I'll add a new field now to check if it's a bot or not. If it's not a bot, the only thing I can to stop is to block their IP
@Zomaian, yeah I agree with you
Has MyBB added a human verification question module to the registration process yet ?
Obviously, it's been there from the very first time I think.
(2009-11-17, 04:48 PM)AVC Wrote: [ -> ]Has MyBB added a human verification question module to the registration process yet ?

Nope captcha and email verification were never thought of Rolleyes.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10