MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Security
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
That's why we put the "known" in the sentence. Smile
Well, regarding the security, mybb has got a solid rep. And from what I have seen, if a security issue or bug has been discovered, the mybb team releases almost immdiately a patch that addresses those issues. This, has been one of the main reasons that I moved my forums to mybb and plan to start my next one with mybb as well.
(2009-11-24, 03:46 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-11-24, 03:39 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-11-24, 03:38 PM)fregzius Wrote: [ -> ]Hi This is Fregzius.
I have always been crazy to know about the My BB's Security. I like to know about the security issues of this site so any one please tell me about the related issue on this forum.
Thanks and regards.

It's simple. There are none Smile

@ Ryan its a spambot.

Ah, indeed. No more posting after only 3 hours of sleep and rushing off to school, for me, ehy?
(2009-11-25, 01:13 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-11-24, 03:46 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-11-24, 03:39 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-11-24, 03:38 PM)fregzius Wrote: [ -> ]Hi This is Fregzius.
I have always been crazy to know about the My BB's Security. I like to know about the security issues of this site so any one please tell me about the related issue on this forum.
Thanks and regards.

It's simple. There are none Smile

@ Ryan its a spambot.

Ah, indeed. No more posting after only 3 hours of sleep and rushing off to school, for me, ehy?

Yes, (if the case if your still tired...)
* Lo. makes Ryan some coffee

But really, 2.0 should be pretty good since it is a rewrite, and it would be so awesome. *My eyes cannot even view it*
(2009-11-21, 08:23 PM)Hiawatha Wrote: [ -> ]I hope someone can give me some prove of why this project is more secure than, for example, phpBB.

It's not.

Any software has bugs, and any software may have security issues.

For almost any popular forum softwares, you will find incidents that people got their sites hacked, because there were security vulnerabilities in the software, but also because people did not keep their software up to date.

Security is not something that any developer, or host, can guarantee for you. Security is something you make yourself. Be critical about what you install (read and understand the code if you are able to), secure your server (give nothing more permissions than it needs to have), keep stuff up to date, make backups (files and databases) regularly, check your site frequently.

If you do that, chances of getting ever hacked are low, and even if it does happen you can fix it thanks to backups.
True that. But it is another thing when other forums running on a certain software get hacked and quite another if the main forum that produces that software. For ex, many months ago the main site of phpbb got hacked. Now they said something about the hackers getting in through another application that they hadn''t updated in their servers or something along those lines. But the thing is, that doesn''t spell confidence and security now, does it?
(2009-11-25, 05:21 PM)babjusi Wrote: [ -> ]True that. But it is another thing when other forums running on a certain software get hacked and quite another if the main forum that produces that software. For ex, many months ago the main site of phpbb got hacked. Now they said something about the hackers getting in through another application that they hadn''t updated in their servers or something along those lines. But the thing is, that doesn''t spell confidence and security now, does it?

No. What happened is they got hacked through a 3rd party software and they were "running" the latest stable version of that 3rd party software. Apparently the developers of that software knew about the vulnerability for weeks but did not release a security update to it.

But all in all, I'm sure they've learned their lessons and everyone involved has stepped up their redundancies and policies.
Pages: 1 2 3