MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Comparing mybb with Vbulletin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
You can compare a paid forum software with a free one. The paid will always have more features and other thing that will beat the free one.

vBulletin is the highest ranked paid software, and MyBB is the highest ranked (IMO) free software.
(2009-12-01, 12:19 PM)X-n3t Wrote: [ -> ]Hackforums is sold yeah , but when HF was attacked the owner was Labrocca . from what i know they found a hole in an old plugin . I was one of the members who tryed to help Labrocca , talked with the attackers to know whats was the vuln and guess what , labrocca banned me HF for a stupid , childish reason .
HF was full of noobs anyway its not a big deal, I have seen VB boards around I know the security is better yes but IMHO when I see vb boards there themes are always to PRO and or Leet looking. Maybe its just me but that's in my opinion!
To bad no professional would have used the word "Leet". And, that's usually because they are paid themes for a paid software.
Vbulletin is a good software, a bit bloated in my opinion, but it hardly justifies the high price when there is Mybb which is as good as vb, or even better.
VB may be the have "more features" however
#1 look at the price
#2 been around longer (I think)
#3 maybe it's just me but most of the features it has that mybb doesn't id never really use and mybb continues to improve and add new features all the time.

I like supporting a free product that wants to help me out with no intention of taking my money.
I like knowing I will always be able to update to the latest version without paying more fees...

As far as security I have never been hacked using Mybb and do not know enough about code to have a good opinion on the matter.
There are certain aspects which I appreciate from both softwares. For example, MyBB is my favorite system to skin for, by far. However some options which vBulletin has by default would be nice core functions in MyBB. Price shouldnt be a factor in your decision imo, though. If you need something, often enough it's a lot less headaches to just fork out the cash and get what you want, when you want.
MyBB always being attack by a word of free this is atrocity to toy MyBB with this method.
Aren't anyone forgot that MyBB openspource already? Still stick for the word of "free for nothing?"
Before compare MyBB to vB as free vs paid.
Why not comparing up with Discuz! forum? The real natural rival among free forums.

Discuz! have "uhome center" the social network system which vbulletin never have this stuff.
Discuz! just lack only english support but their technologies are too far away even vB breakthrough didn't reach yet.

If MyBB can't match up with Discuz! yet. It'd be pointless to match up with vB as long MyBB being stick a word of free. No matter MyBB go better MyBB will always atk with that atrocity method. In the fact if talk about "open source" vs "paid". Same goes for linux[MyBB] vs windows[vbulletin]. Paid still you can't cut off their link back while MyBB can modify into anything under GNU without troubling with license.

It's such annoying to see MyBB communities are staring vB too much start sink deeper till blind instead explore new luxury free forums rival that "cloak in darkness" siping a tea watch MyBB being toyed by vB for just a word of "free". While their breakthorugh surpass both MyBB & vB already.
(2009-12-03, 01:18 AM)labyrinth Wrote: [ -> ]Discuz! just lack only english support but their technologies are too far away even vB breakthrough didn't reach yet.

That's why it's never discussed. I've heard about it a few times over the years but without a good English community to back it you won't see it mentioned often on english forums.

It's just like Burning Board, a great piece of software that doesn't get much recognition due to language/culture barriers. (I would say Typo3 as well but I could never wrap my head around doing simple things as the English documentation sucks.)
I come here to wake up MyBB communities to low down to compare up with vb, ipbs or any paid BBs. Stick with them too much will kill MyBB itself won't develop anything much. The one is not about their langauge but their breakthrough. Sample like "Discuz! ucenter" I never see this stuff from MyBB, vb niether ipb. It would be challenging for MyBB plugins makers to research this stuff because even I never seen this social network plugin from paid either.

MyBB already turn opensource still people start forget it's status and even MyBB users themselves stick back to word of free isn't that kind of waste? Sad Opensource enable to modify anything the favourite stuffs for "developers" while paid stuffs the large obstacle for "Developers" but need for "End-Users".

I'd like our MyBB developers in here scatter yourself explore new unknown BBs & learn their unique breakthrough to developing MyBB rather than starring vB too much would can just only follow. vB is not everything they might have 7 rainbow colors but they don't have white black colors which lied in other free/opensource forums.
The MyBB devs were never trying to be a vB replacement though. They've always followed their own path. And, I personally don't see what's so great about Discuz from what I've seen. Sure it has some nice unique features but most of these really unique features I would never need and most other forums wouldn't either.
Pages: 1 2 3 4