MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Computer Recommendations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I was thinking about what I should get for Christmas, and I couldn't think of anything, but then I thought about getting a new laptop. I wanted to get your suggestion on good laptops that are fast, have a big hard drive, can play some games like Combat Arms and Call Of Duty (I am not a big gamer), and doesn't cost heaps.

My budget is between $0-$1500. Please post all recommendations for a laptop.

Right now I am looking at this laptop. (Thanks Netsage, Got it off your blog), but not sure if I should get that since it's a gaming computer and has low battery life.
Whatever you do, do not get an Acer. They make good netbooks but their laptops are bad, we've had a lot of problems with them and their returns policy. Dunno if you'd have considered one but for anyone else, unless it's a netbook, I'd advice not going Acer.
I don't really like Acer, so I don't want one Toungue

Actually, I would like suggestions for Desktop's as well.
I would also like to add the cheaper the better (obviously Toungue)
(2009-12-03, 08:39 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Whatever you do, do not get an Acer. They make good netbooks but their laptops are bad, we've had a lot of problems with them and their returns policy. Dunno if you'd have considered one but for anyone else, unless it's a netbook, I'd advice not going Acer.

LOL Yea acer are very bad even there netbooks when i worked at a computer shop i would have to say about 70% of the laptops where acer that needed a new motherboard. i remember one week we got about 7 acer netbooks that needed new motherboards.

And i had an acer my self and it died 1 day out of warranty and they would not do any thing for me.

if you want a laptop go for a macbook or a toshiba.
Mine kept blue screening, reinstalled twice, sent it back to Acer, NFF.

A colleagues's went wrong, Debian was on it, formatted (with a disk supplied by Acer), then tried to reinstall Windows (again with a disk supplied by Acer), got disk errors, tried to install Debian, disk errors, sent it to Acer, NFF!! They then tried to charge us £60 because the Windows recovery partition had been deleted, which was why Windows wasn't installing. However, we used their disks to format it, and Debian doesn't care if there's a Windows recovery partition or not and that was getting the same errors, the HDD was bust. They said if they sent it back to us and it still didn't work, we'd have to pay for delivery and repairs, even though it was well within warranty (we only got it a few months ago), it seems they only cover the first return with the warranty. So we just said sod this and asked for a refund.

My netbook is fine though, can't remember it crashing, it's a bit noisy though.
My Acer Aspire One D250 works fine. Nice and slim (slimmer than most others) and got it half a year ago for AU$420 after cashback - the 2nd cheapest 10in netbook I could find was around AU$500.
The OEM install of XP is full of junk, cleared it out and installed an nLite'd copy and runs well. Does get a bit noisy when the fan kicks in though (generally when video decoding; stuff like word processing doesn't use my CPU so it stays quiet).

Back to topic, everyone wants a fast laptop with big hard drive etc, but what are you really using on it? I dunno what sort of requirements those games have so can't really say what GPU you need - just do a search around though - chances are, you won't need a GTX260.
Powerful laptops are generally big/bulky and GPUs suck battery as you've noted.
A desktop is much cheaper if you don't need the portability.
Here's my experience:

HP > Acer > Sony

All of my HPs were excellent. I've actually had my current netbook longer than any other laptop and use it as my desktop replacement (sold my gaming PC and built a MiniITX box for Netflix, Hulu, and a home server). My last real laptop is now my wife's, a Sony Vaio that was at the time top of the line but I was only able to use it for about a month before I got my netbook to replace it because there were no XP drivers. Sad I regret selling my wife's Acer because even for a Core Duo is rocked!
Pages: 1 2 3