MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Under Construcion] Professional Clean
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2009-12-24, 08:43 PM)FullMetalBabe Wrote: [ -> ]@Computergeek67: You're terribly mistaken by generalizing theme makers. But you can't talk, you tried to copy it and didn't improve on it at all.

Notice the date on that. Then notice all my other 1.4 themes. GreenNight, Majestic, the in development Novus all are different from each other and are all original.
(2009-12-24, 07:47 PM)computergeek67 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-12-24, 07:11 PM)NBKTwitch Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed I like navigation that are like ipb's myself lol..

But why can't theme makers be original with their themes? They try to copy off something because it looks good to them but for no other reason. They don't try to improve on it at all (at least with what I've seen). It's an ugly copy of something that might not be fitting for MyBB.

Good point,this is why I am working on a custom navigation bar 100% coded by me Smile.
For all of you complaining about the header image, who cares? If you actually use the default header from themes then you have less talent and creativity than the person using paint!

zDawg is showing you the theme, not the header. Look past the part of the theme you shouldn't be using anyways before you judge it.

With that being said I like the vBulletin style header but the nav bar is to big (height) IMO.
(2009-12-25, 12:48 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]For all of you complaining about the header image, who cares? If you actually use the default header from themes then you have less talent and creativity than the person using paint!

zDawg is showing you the theme, not the header. Look past the part of the theme you shouldn't be using anyways before you judge it.

With that being said I like the vBulletin style header but the nav bar is to big (height) IMO.

Some people would like to use the PSD(or gimp files that are equal to a PSD) for the logo if it looks nice. One bad thing or detail can make the whole picture just look crappy. Though, it doesn't take away the fact is not close to clean or professional. By the way, last time I checked the header is part of a theme, therefore if he is showing the theme, he is also showing the header. Shy
90% of themes do not come with a PSD and for a theme like this a PSD shouldn't need to be included since it's not overly complex. And IMO using the header image that came with the theme is the equivalent of using a .CO.CC instead of a .COM.

As for the header being part of the theme, the MyBB copyright is also part of the theme but everybody looks past that when judging a theme. Wink

Bottom line is that talking down to zDawg based on the header image is uncalled for. I've seen people not even include a header image and just put "Logo" instead but nobody attacked the theme like they are doing for this one. The worst part is that a lot of you are above that kind of behavior.
(2009-12-25, 01:47 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]90% of themes do not come with a PSD and for a theme like this a PSD shouldn't need to be included since it's not overly complex. And IMO using the header image that came with the theme is the equivalent of using a .CO.CC instead of a .COM.

As for the header being part of the theme, the MyBB copyright is also part of the theme but everybody looks past that when judging a theme. Wink

Bottom line is that talking down to zDawg based on the header image is uncalled for. I've seen people not even include a header image and just put "Logo" instead but nobody attacked the theme like they are doing for this one. The worst part is that a lot of you are above that kind of behavior.

Since when are we talking down? The image DOES look bad, in the contrary, I think it's helping him, otherwise, how will he improve? Try harder? Get better? Or should everyone shut up and lie? Everything is beautiful when it's really otherwise.

Seriously, this is NOTHING compared to what people on design sites will say, they will eat him alive. He is at the theming section of this forum, wanted to hear what people thought about the theme, and he did. Couldn't have said it another way, the theme is not professional, nor clean, he could try a bit harder. Could I be nicer, yes, but I'd be lying. There's always room for improvement.
Everybody in the thread is focusing on an extremely minor aspect of the theme. I understand that constructive criticism is very helpful but having 10 posts about the header image is not constructive at all. Again, any real site owner would not use the header image that came with a theme, thus considering the header image to be an integral part of the theme is pointless.
(2009-12-25, 02:18 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Everybody in the thread is focusing on an extremely minor aspect of the theme. I understand that constructive criticism is very helpful but having 10 posts about the header image is not constructive at all. Again, any real site owner would not use the header image that came with a theme, thus considering the header image to be an integral part of the theme is pointless.

The header is like a face. Without it, the theme has no identity. Truthfully, I sometimes judge based on the logo because that is the main focal point of the theme and is it's identity.

(2009-12-25, 02:18 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Again, any real site owner would not use the header image that came with a theme, thus considering the header image to be an integral part of the theme is pointless.

Actually, I've seen a lot of site owners use the logo as a template for their own. When you think about it, if the site owner had the creativity and design skills to make a logo, wouldn't he just make his own theme?

Every detail should be taken into consideration when designing something. I know that I might not be targeting the right audience here, but it's still good advice.
(2009-12-25, 02:49 AM)computergeek67 Wrote: [ -> ]The header is like a face. Without it, the theme has no identity. Truthfully, I sometimes judge based on the logo because that is the main focal point of the theme and is it's identity.
That's a bad way to look at it IMO. The "face" of your site should be your logo, which should be completely unique to your site and, while it should definitely fit the theme, it shouldn't be similar to everybody else who uses that theme.

(2009-12-25, 02:49 AM)computergeek67 Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, I've seen a lot of site owners use the logo as a template for their own. When you think about it, if the site owner had the creativity and design skills to make a logo, wouldn't he just make his own theme?
I still think using the default logo/header image for a open source theme is unoriginal and unprofessional looking. Creating you own theme would be ideal but for some of us we cannot do that and thus rely other to make both our themes and our logos. I understand people are untalented and/or lazy but if you can't put the effort into your website then you shouldn't be running a website. It's so easy and free to build a completely unique website, but it seems a lot of people are in the mindset that putting forth any kind of effort is a waste of time.

(2009-12-25, 02:49 AM)computergeek67 Wrote: [ -> ]Every detail should be taken into consideration when designing something. I know that I might not be targeting the right audience here, but it's still good advice.
I understand that, but focusing on a very minor point and giving it more weight than the major points is wrong.

I know this conversation got drawn out more-so than it probably needed but all I'm trying to say is give zDawg a break if he used Paint to create the header image. Don't be so petty and let the header image/logo impact the theme when it has almost 0 impact on the actual results for real webmasters.
*sighs* Example, IPB default. As unprofessional and unoriginal it may be, people do still use the same style of the IPB logo with the same font. The theme and logo is good enough.

I've been contacted to edit many PSD's to the sites name but still keep the logo's font and style.

As I said, one detail can make the whole style look wrong, it does have real impact for webmasters, no one would buy a pre-made theme from CompletevB if it still has the vB logo, no one would buy a pre-made theme from Zynge if it had the MyBB logo, no one would but a skin from IB skins if it still had the IPB logo, and no one would download a theme that doesn't have the logo to complete the style. When a person searches they search for a theme with the complete look, what they see that COULD give them inspiration to put it on their boards.

Theme is composed of a logo, a header, a menu, a body, content and a footer and misc small graphics. One wrong, could make the whole theme wrong, that's why some people much focus on the logo, plus it's presentation, IMO. ^^ Don't think any pro's or well, theme experts, would make their graphics in paint, or am I wrong?
Pages: 1 2 3