MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Wierd symbols - 
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quite often when i click on a link within my website a blank white page with these symbols will appear "". Sometimes that appears and the page loads after that and sometimes it just stays at that page. Any ideas whatsup?
Turn off GZip compression in the server and optimization settings if it's turned on, and if that doesn't work, upload a new version of whatever files this occurs with.
(2009-12-19, 03:10 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Turn off GZip compression in the server and optimization settings if it's turned on, and if that doesn't work, upload a new version of whatever files this occurs with.

It wasn't on. It's usually when i click a link on the forum to view a thread.
OK, so have you uploaded a new copy of forumdisplay.php?? Do you have any plugins that affect the forum display??
Do a search for "*.php" files having the "¿" character in them and you will find those buggy files.

Normally you will find those characters just at the beginning of the first line of the file.

Use an editor able to display those characters or you wont be able to delete them easily before resaving the corrected file... Wink
(2009-12-19, 03:28 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]OK, so have you uploaded a new copy of forumdisplay.php?? Do you have any plugins that affect the forum display??

I uploaded a new one and still the same.

I recently added a my side boxes plugin but i have removed that. Nothing else i can think of.

(2009-12-19, 03:32 PM)exdiogene Wrote: [ -> ]Do a search for "*.php" files having the "¿" character in them and you will find those buggy files.

Normally you will find those characters just at the beginning of the first line of the file.

Use an editor able to display those characters or you wont be able to delete them easily before resaving the corrected file... Wink

No idea how to do that.
That's an UTF-8 byte order mark, which some bad editors (such as Windows notepad) add into files but shouldn't, which PHP should ignore but doesn't, etc.

Use a proper editor for editing (for example notepad++ or any non-Windows editor), make sure it's set to UTF-8 but without byte order mark (BOM). Load all files you edited in there, and save them, this should remove these characters from your files.

I also wrote a plugin once that finds these problems in your PHP files, it was called dirwalk, and attached to some thread somewhere...
Still not found the issue. I downloaded Notepad++ cant find a ¿ symbol anywhere and i saved a few files i thought may be causing the issue and same old :|.

This link seems to be a broken one with symbols

http://www.profifaleagues.net/showthread...n=lastpost

it should lead to a thread
yes, the utf-8 bom is invisible usually

http://community.mybboard.net/thread-473...#pid347635
If you are using Windows on your PC you can easily use its search feature on your local files for that symbol. If you want to search for it on your hosting account, you will need to use a PHP script or a shell access to do it...
Pages: 1 2