MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Bandwidth?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey guys =) I am in need of some help, information really. Since I've been doin' this I've never really understood bandwidth. =/ And now, I'm gonna have this guy make me a friggin' awesome plugin that includes a Card generator/maker, a shop system, trading system, and a place to play the card game. But he was telling me that the Card Maker alone was going to take up an enormous amount of bandwidth... =/ I just smiled and nodded, knowing that it may just be too complicated to explain in the little time we had.

So, MyBBoard, can anyone give me a good explanation of Bandwidth? =D And why it's important? And how much is standard and such
This guy who told you that the Card Maker alone was going to take up an enormous amount of bandwidth, did he even ask you what specifications you have for your web host/server?

If he didn't ask, how do you know that you already have enough for the plugin?
He didn't. And I don't, that's why I'm asking about bandwidth to see what's about average and what-not so I can go ahead and shop safe
What I believe is the definition (may not be 100% accurate):

Bandwidth is the data transfer between two different servers (or a server and computer). When uploading/downloading a file, the actual transfer process uses bandwidth.

If you have a 1KB file, then every time somebody views that file they use 1KB of bandwidth. Usually, browsers cache HTML, CSS, and JavaScript files so that the second time a person views a file it does not use as much.

How much this card generator plugin will use - I have no clue. You'd need to try it out and see for yourself.

PS: If you are in need of large bandwidth, I am used to offering hosting for large bandwidth-users (being a proxy webmaster and proxy host). I can offer you a large-bandwidth plan for a very affordable price.
Bandwidth is network traffic, i.e. upload and download. I doubt the plugin will use large amounts of bandwidth unless it is generating HD images. If the creator is even bringing up bandwidth as a potential problem I suggest you look for another person to code your plugin as they either have no clue what they are doing or are going to do it totally wrong.
(2009-12-27, 03:20 AM)Elegant Totality Wrote: [ -> ]He didn't. And I don't, that's why I'm asking about bandwidth to see what's about average and what-not so I can go ahead and shop safe

Not being funny here but if you're paying for this service, wouldn't it be in your own interest to know some idea of what you're putting you're money into?
For the record, I was using a full RPG system on vBulletin (Inferno RPG with custom maps, custom monsters, custom items, custom shops, custom NPCs, custom skills, custom spells, complete character creation, card system similar to Final Fantasy w/ card creator, random encounters, PVP, grouping, turn based and automated battles, trading posts, and a quest system that allowed for your own coding) and it used less bandwidth than the forum did.
(2009-12-27, 04:47 AM)lufbra Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-12-27, 03:20 AM)Elegant Totality Wrote: [ -> ]He didn't. And I don't, that's why I'm asking about bandwidth to see what's about average and what-not so I can go ahead and shop safe

Not being funny here but if you're paying for this service, wouldn't it be in your own interest to know some idea of what you're putting you're money into?

It's free =P

@KuJoe, oh? =/ Well then... I'll get started xD
This guy has no clue what he's talking about. A card maker won't use tons of bandwidth unless perhaps he's talking about the images generated, which still wouldn't be much. It could use a ton of CPU however.
@KuJoe, you said unless they were HD images. What did you mean?

@Duyen, CPU?
Pages: 1 2 3