MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Whats going on?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I just use StopForumSpam vB plugin, works like a charm.

vbStopForumSpam Log Viewer (page 1/3) | There are 228 total log entries.

Not one single spam post on my site.
Found another one :p

What is...

How many letters are there in PlayPark?
That's good Smile
(2010-01-03, 03:18 AM)Lyndon Wrote: [ -> ]vBulletin websites are terrible for spam. Test it. Create a board, put in 30 random forums, wait a week.

I was creating a vB forum once, I was away for a while, I come back and over 200 posts of spam.

--------

Relating to your topic, if you wait a while and they come back then they aren't bots. Sometimes users just post a couple of times to see what the community is like. But if their signatures are matching and their IP's are similar, yes they are bots.

I was running the top rated Dragon forum at one point on vBulletin and never had a spam issue. I'm currently running www.FreeWebHostingTalk.com and it gets two or three spammers a month at most.
I think he didn't have captcha enabled.
Okay... so, bots can post. xP

Is their any way to fix this problem? A plugin or something?

I will also check if my captcha is turned on.
In my experience RECAPTCHA stops ALL bots.
(2010-01-03, 10:26 PM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]In my experience RECAPTCHA stops ALL bots.

It used too but lately the spammers are human. At least the ones that register bypassing all the captcha and the other security measurements at the registration page and then once they are through the bots take over. I help co admin a very big forum and coded several extra preventive plugins of the type Are you human or what is 3+5 for ex or enter the word you see here at the box below etc etc to strengthen the registration process and they bypassed them all.

Personally I have given up trying to stop spammers at the registration. Instead I focus more on preventing them at the forum/posting side.
All of my forums have 2 usergroups for users, a "Registered Members" usergroup that all new sign-ups are put into and limited on what they can do (E-mail, PMs, reputation, signatures, etc...) and where they can post (advertisement areas) and then I have a "Full User" usergroup setup that users are automatically promoted to after 3-10 posts (depending on the forum and the topic) and after being registered for 7 days (if they are spammers we would catch them before that anyways.

I also set all of my forums to send a random password instead of an activation e-mail since every bot I have ever seen cannot pull text from an e-mail (they are only setup to look for the "<a href=" tag and navigate to the link).

I found that spammers don't waste their time if they can't use a signature since most automated anti-spam plugins (like Akismet) scan posts and not signatures and by doing this setup I have reduced the spam at both my vB forum and MyBB ones by nearly 90% (yes, even human spammers has reduced drastically). Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3