MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Whats going on?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I hate recaptcha. I always fail it.
(2010-01-04, 12:23 AM)Firestar Wrote: [ -> ]I hate recaptcha. I always fail it.

Srsly? That statements leaves a lot to say about you, y'know.
RECAPTCHA is the most ingenious thing ever created for the internet. It stops spam and builds an electronic library of every book ever created. If you haven't read up on it I highly suggest you do, but here's a summary for those of you still reading my post:

Right now the company behind the RECAPTCHA technology is using a scanning method to scan in books, magazines, and newspapers which creates an electronic format of them. The problem is that the scanning technology isn't perfect so it mistakes some of the words. So what they do is put all of the words into the RECAPTCHA database and run them through separately which means that when you answer a RECAPTCHA the word you put is added to the database for that image (it runs the same image multiple times to verify that it is the correct word for that image).

How it works is it displays 2 words, one verified and one unverified. If you get the verified word correct then that's all that matters since they can't check against an unverified word thus if you get one correct, they are assuming you're smart enough to know what the second word is so after it runs that unverified word through a few more RECAPTCHAs in order to get a definite match of the word with the image, it's then sent to the verified database and the missing word is updated in the digital copy of the scanned book, magazine, or newspaper.

Enjoy the read? Big Grin
OMG, after reading my own post I've realized how much of a nerd I am that I took the time to learn about how RECAPTCHA works. Sad
(2010-01-04, 12:27 AM)FullMetalBabe Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-01-04, 12:23 AM)Firestar Wrote: [ -> ]I hate recaptcha. I always fail it.

Srsly? That statements leaves a lot to say about you, y'know.
Whatever. Everyone already hates me.Sad
(2010-01-04, 12:40 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]RECAPTCHA is the most ingenious thing ever created for the internet. It stops spam and builds an electronic library of every book ever created. If you haven't read up on it I highly suggest you do, but here's a summary for those of you still reading my post:

Right now the company behind the RECAPTCHA technology is using a scanning method to scan in books, magazines, and newspapers which creates an electronic format of them. The problem is that the scanning technology isn't perfect so it mistakes some of the words. So what they do is put all of the words into the RECAPTCHA database and run them through separately which means that when you answer a RECAPTCHA the word you put is added to the database for that image (it runs the same image multiple times to verify that it is the correct word for that image).

How it works is it displays 2 words, one verified and one unverified. If you get the verified word correct then that's all that matters since they can't check against an unverified word thus if you get one correct, they are assuming you're smart enough to know what the second word is so after it runs that unverified word through a few more RECAPTCHAs in order to get a definite match of the word with the image, it's then sent to the verified database and the missing word is updated in the digital copy of the scanned book, magazine, or newspaper.

Enjoy the read? Big Grin
OMG, after reading my own post I've realized how much of a nerd I am that I took the time to learn about how RECAPTCHA works. Sad

NERD POWER!
@ Firestar, EMO!

Also didn't google buy RECAPTCHA?
Creators of Bots are becoming more smarter, so most likely Bots, mind you, someone could be bored.
Pages: 1 2 3