MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Quote Username
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Instead of putting the username, would be better to keep that function in so you can manually put it there for some reason, after clicking the quote button use the pid to find the username so that when the user changes his username it would be updated.

Quote by __ >

Quote by (get username from pid then userid)
But then wouldn't you need to run a check on that every time there was a quote on the page??
(2010-01-05, 10:58 PM)Mushu Wrote: [ -> ]Instead of putting the username, would be better to keep that function in so you can manually put it there for some reason, after clicking the quote button use the pid to find the username so that when the user changes his username it would be updated.

Quote by __ >

Quote by (get username from pid then userid)

This wouldn't be a bad idea, BUT could be user ID instead of post id. Just not Username. However, the parser would still need to support the old format too. Especially for those like me who do manual quote=so-and-so Smile
Ya, I was just about to mention manual quotes ralgith Toungue.
What if someone's username is 123 though?? How would it know if that's a username or UID??
(2010-01-05, 11:14 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]What if someone's username is 123 though?? How would it know if that's a username or UID??

My suggestion on how to handle that i to simply add another field. Or would have been, I didn't realize the pid was already there.
Current
[quote='MattRogowski' pid='448769' dateline='1262733250']
New
[quote pid='448769' dateline='1262733250']

And it would just nab the author from the post with a db query.

Edit:
But leave support for manual quotes like I said before Big Grin
But if it's got to query, isn't that going to majorly increase the query count?? My PPP setting is 50, so I could easily have 100 quote blocks on a single page, say 20 different authors, 20 different queries... worth it for the sake of having the name update if it gets changed??
(2010-01-05, 11:57 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]But if it's got to query, isn't that going to majorly increase the query count?? My PPP setting is 50, so I could easily have 100 quote blocks on a single page, say 20 different authors, 20 different queries... worth it for the sake of having the name update if it gets changed??

No, not to me Wink

But t some? Maybe. I'd say this would be better done as a plugin, so its optional.
Username changes aren't really a regular thing. Most of the time people get 1 - 2 changes. If you don't know who the quoted text is from, click the post snapback button. The arrow beside the quote title.
(2010-01-06, 12:58 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]Username changes aren't really a regular thing. Most of the time people get 1 - 2 changes. If you don't know who the quoted text is from, click the post snapback button. The arrow beside the quote title.

Point.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5