MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Credit or Debit card... =/
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I use a Visa debit card, works on every website I have used it on.

You'll be able to get one at any age 13+ (Correct if wrong)
Something like virtual credit cards work well.

Visa has one:
http://virtualvcard.com.au

Basically a debit credit card (gives you a number, expiry, and security code) but uses your money. You can generally buy them at the post office.
(2010-01-06, 11:48 AM)Jakee Wrote: [ -> ]You'll be able to get one at any age 13+ (Correct if wrong)

Unfortunately I think its 18 in Australia but I don't see why it needs to be that way, it would make things a lot easier for a lot of people if it was 13 here.
(2010-01-06, 01:40 PM)TimB. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-01-06, 11:48 AM)Jakee Wrote: [ -> ]You'll be able to get one at any age 13+ (Correct if wrong)

Unfortunately I think its 18 in Australia but I don't see why it needs to be that way, it would make things a lot easier for a lot of people if it was 13 here.

But you're supposed to be 18 to sign up to PayPal, which makes that a moot point.

PayPal asks you for a credit card/bank info so it can provide finance if you don't have enough in your account. When PayPal says "credit card", it actually means "debit or credit card".

I've been using my Maestro card with them for ages, but I just got a new card from my bank which is now a Visa card (epic win, since I can now use the card to buy things from Americans who don't support PayPal since no American has any idea what a Maestro card is).
I'd just get a debit card, it's less trouble to get (at least here you can simply request is if you have a bank account Toungue). And if you're a compulsive buyer, like myself, you won't be getting in a never eding debt...
Go with a debit card. It works in like 95% of cases where a credit card is needed, and keeps you from spending money that you don't have. The problem with credit cards is that people buy a bunch of stuff they can't actually afford, then get confused when the credit card company wants their money back (plus some since it's kind of a loan so there's interest). When they can't give the money back is when they go into the never-ending death-spiral-of-debt of doom.

With a debit card, if you don't have the money, it won't let you buy it. Watch out since there may be some kind of fee for doing that, though, depending on the card and how it's funded.
Just a note it can still cost you with a debit card Wink. If spend more than what's in your bank account the bank will charge you with an over draft fee (I think for mine it's like $35 but I've heard some people say theirs was like $50).
As has been said, debit. You're spending your money, not borrowing, and although you can go into overdraft, there's usually quite low limits on it (mine's £50 or something). Credit card => debt.
(2010-01-06, 06:22 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]As has been said, debit. You're spending your money, not borrowing, and although you can go into overdraft, there's usually quite low limits on it (mine's £50 or something). Credit card => debt.

That's quite true. Smile
And I have a Visa Debit too, had it for about 3 years now, hardly need to carry cash on me anymore.
Pages: 1 2 3