MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Reset Password] Manually & Quickly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I dont know just happen to me or not.
Many members from my forum get problem when retrieving new password (lost/forgot). Mostly, problem came from administrator email. Email pending, not sending, or going to spam/bulk folder. And, not every member know this. Sometimes the clicked SUBMIT BUTTON (lost password) twice, or even 5 times more. And still email does not arrive at their inbox. And once arrive, there is MULTIPLE activation code. And they dont know which should be clicked!!

Okay, finally they contacting administrator manually by sending message and told their problem, some people request password manually. Then, after few check/confirmation Administrator set the password manually thru admin panel.

Unluckily, this procedure did not always successful!
password still failed.
Finally, I found some "bug" maybe?
I have to make this query before change password on Admin Panel.
update `mybb_users` set `loginattempts`='1' WHERE `username` = 'username_problem' 

after those query, change password can be done Wink
Yea, my members have been reporting problems when I reset the password via Admin ACP. My email just works Wink
Just the fact someone lost their password defines them as incompetent.
(2010-01-14, 01:26 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Just the fact someone lost their password defines them as incompetent.

What if they were hacked?
That makes them more incompetent.
(2010-01-14, 01:56 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]That makes them more incompetent.

People forget and people get hacked. It happens.
I've only really used the password reset feature of anything when the password wasn't working for whatever reason :/
I've had to use the password reset when I haven't used a service in several years, and couldn't remember which password I used (especially when I have more possible passwords than the software allows guesses). Is it my fault for not remembering a password I haven't used since freshman year in high school? Maybe, but is it my fault when some site puts retarded restrictions on the format of your password that makes my current password list incompatible? OTOH I rarely use those sites more than once.

Of course there's also the "browser remembers passwords so I don't have to except when I need to use another computer" thing. That's bitten me a couple of times.
With so many websites requiring registration, it can be difficult to remember all the passwords you've used, unless of course, you use the same password for all your accounts, which then seriously hampers security.
It is foolish to claim that forgetting a password is incompetent or having an account hacked is incompetent.
The majority of internet forums do not run through SSL, thus even eavesdropping the password can be considered a threat which can give an attacker access to a user's account.
There are a few good password management programs now too Toungue.

On topic I've never had a problem.
Pages: 1 2