MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Google ditching IE 6.0-
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Quote:In order to continue to improve our products and deliver more sophisticated features and performance, we are harnessing some of the latest improvements in web browser technology. This includes faster JavaScript processing and new standards like HTML5. As a result, over the course of 2010, we will be phasing out support for Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 ​as well as other older browsers that are not supported by their own manufacturers.

We plan to begin phasing out support of these older browsers on the Google Docs suite and the Google Sites editor on March 1, 2010. After that point, certain functionality within these applications may have higher latency and may not work correctly in these older browsers. Later in 2010, we will start to phase out support for these browsers for Google Mail and Google Calendar.

Google Apps will continue to support Internet Explorer 7.0 and above, Firefox 3.0 and above, Google Chrome 4.0 and above, and Safari 3.0 and above.

Starting this week, users on these older browsers will see a message in Google Docs and the Google Sites editor explaining this change and asking them to upgrade their browser. We will also alert you again closer to March 1 to remind you of this change.

In 2009, the Google Apps team delivered more than 100 improvements to enhance your product experience. We are aiming to beat that in 2010 and continue to deliver the best and most innovative collaboration products for businesses.

Thank you for your continued support!

With Google taking this venture to no longer support old (bad) browsers, should we be doing the same?

Alot of schools are still using IE6 on their servers, think of what this could do to it. Obviously it only affects a few things but will the main google site be far behind?
Totally did this on accident. Wrong forum XD
Can someone move to Chit Chat
Thanks
It would force schools to upgrade to 7. Like mine did. Rolleyes The it finally did work there.
I find it great google is doing this. It will finally get rid of ie6.

I forgot how this saying goes,but -

After one big man does something the rest follow in a domino effect.
My school seems to be fairly up to date. They are on Vista and IE 7.
Teachers get Firefox and Chrome though -.-

Luckily i have rogers wireless and my macbook so i dont have to use the schools computers.
(2010-02-02, 07:45 PM)Lyndon Wrote: [ -> ]My school seems to be fairly up to date. They are on Vista and IE 7.

Luckily i have rogers wireless and my macbook so i dont have to use the schools computers.

My School hasn't been up to date for years.

They still have windows 98 computers running lol.. Ofcourse they have updated most to dells running xp and ie6.
(2010-02-02, 07:45 PM)Lyndon Wrote: [ -> ]My school seems to be fairly up to date. They are on Vista and IE 7.

Most schools are behind because they have to manage a lot more computers Toungue. However it may lead to a lot more work in the long run. Because eventually they start updating certain computers and not others.

Although I know my school is skipping vista and just going to Windows 7. Although it's had IE7 for awhile now. But, most of technical people just put portable versions of all the software we wanted on our network drive space Toungue.
I don't really think Google could add anything else to the homepage/search results, which would decrease page load times and not work in older browsers. Seriously. If they do, it's just a waste.
(2010-02-02, 09:32 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't really think Google could add anything else to the homepage/search results, which would decrease page load times and not work in older browsers. Seriously. If they do, it's just a waste.

Its not what they are adding to searchs that is the problem. They wanna get up to date with html5 and stuff that will just not work on ie6 and other old web browsers.
I doubt we're going to be writing workarounds for IE6 in MyBB 2.0. Basically, if you're still using that browser then your just going to be stuck with a more bland version of MyBB. I think given that MyBB 2.0 is going to take at least a couple years, that should still give people a significant amount of time to upgrade if they want to take advantage of all of the effects, etc.
This is a step in the right direction but it would be nice if google put a notice on the hope page to IE6 users saying "Your using a 9 year old browser you idiot update now or we will publish your google web history results so everyone can see the messed up stuff you have been searching for." :p
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5