MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: *kerflush* Buh-bye, SMF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I used SMF a long time ago now, and I'm sorry to see it go. But the way it's falling apart is worse than the lack of a 2.0 release. It appears the development team has fallen due to infighting, and may be involving lawyers. From what I see, they'll be lucky to pick up any pieces after the fight is done.

If you want to read about it, here's a 20 page thread at their forum. I saw it gain a full 5 pages since yesterday around lunchtime!

I just hope MyBB learns from their misfortune and never has that kind of fight.
What was the fight about exactly? I found SMF 2 a lot better(than smf 1.x not mybb) but never tried it until recently due to the dead development Toungue.

But, since MyBB is GPL now even if a fight does break out one group will probably just fork it.
Can someone explain the conflict Toungue
I think SMF may take a dip. I don't think it will die, would be a bad thing if it did. We would have a surge of new users here, and as would PHPBB. Could be a little hectic.
http://www.lewisonline.ca/?p=426

Making the whole project a company was the worst idea they came up with, it was a disaster waiting to happen, especially since they're just a team of volunteers.

Best of Luck to them,

Best Regards.
So basically the original creators are mad that its not going down the path they wanted? If they wanted to be more open and have many people in the decision making why would you make it a company?

It just doesn't make sense to me at all. They should have done something like pixie did (or toggle I guess). They made an Open Source CMS but it main developers are the people who run a design company.
(2010-02-05, 07:56 PM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]So basically the original creators are mad that its not going down the path they wanted? If they wanted to be more open and have many people in the decision making why would you make it a company?
Uh, not quite.

The original owners formed an LLC around Simple Machines with 1 person as its head. The original owners and major contributors kept some ownership, but this 1 person has full legal controll. Worse, the license forbids forking.

Apparently, this person was far worse than thought and started driving the team members to leave the project. I think almost 36 of them have left in total, even the original YaBBSE / SMF1.0 developers, and petitioned the leadership to step down.

Very, VERY, ugly.
Quote:Apparently, this person was far worse than thought and started driving the developers to leave the project. I think almost 36 of them have left in total, the ones with the most work on SMF even, and petitioned the leadership to step down.

Not completely accurate. I believe you meant to say "team members", and not "developers", as having 36 developers would be pretty insane, at any time.
(2010-02-05, 08:25 PM)Yggdrasil Wrote: [ -> ]Not completely accurate. I believe you meant to say "team members", and not "developers", as having 36 developers would be pretty insane, at any time.
Yep, that's what I meant. But still, as I understand it, it's a substantial amount to drive away of the team.
The project was built around a democracy/community in its infancy and thrived, why did they want to change it?

And how the hell did it get put through in the first place?

My initial thoughts are that the owners/staff thought it would be "cool" to make it a company without any professional opinion or even weighing the pro's and con's, they rushed through the process, and are now regretting ever doing it.

Its not a particular person or groups fault, its everyones fault who was involved in the decision.

Was the creation of the LLC done with legal documentation, or was this done informally as a decision?
Pages: 1 2 3 4